1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JD's Mulch On Demand...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, Nov 24, 2004.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Did you guys see John Deere's new Mulch On Demand deck???
    If so, what do you think?.
  2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I've heard about it, got any pics?
  3. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

never where is it.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I got an email from them with a graphic showing how the blade chamber baffles work. But I don't know how to link that graphic here.

It's pretty cool though. Kinda like when you pull a handle to close an OCDC on a mower, with the JD, you pull a handle and baffles under your deck move to enclose each blade chamber as well as the discharge chute.
  5. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

We have one at our dealership. If you would like to come by and check it out, PM me. We are not far from Yardley.

Happy Thanksgiving
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

What part of Jersey? And, do you know if JD has any plans to put this on other models, particularly the stand on models?

7. sethsodsquad

sethsodsquad LawnSite Member

I'd like to see some pics of it (or animation) of it at work. Is there something on the net already?

8. poonero

poonero LawnSite Member
    from ny

i have seen the deck , it is a pretty cool idea but the part that leaves me a bit hesitant is that they invented a deck that can do both mulch and side discharge but did they invent a blade?
  9. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I was thinking about that myself. My guess would be that you would need to find a middle ground type blade. Something that would work for both.
    In other words, a full-on wavy mulching blade doesn't throw or discharge well. And a full-on high lift blade may not mulch well in an enclosed blade chamber.
    So you'd need to go with something in-between.
    Maybe a low lift, maybe a gator type?

I wonder if JD has maybe already done that research and could suggest a good blade set up? NJDeere, did you hear anything in that regard?
  10. NJDeere

NJDeere LawnSite Member

1. We are in Florence, NJ (PM for info, please)
    2. The 757/60" is the first model, more may come based on customer acceptance, etc.
    3. Gogetter, you hit the nail on the head, they are using a middle of the road blade, but when we asked about aftermarket blades (ie. predator, gator, etc.), their answer was that "any commercially available blade for a 60" 7 iron deck will fit.", just in case you were wondering.
    4. I believe that there is nothing on the Internet about this deck as far as pictures, diagrams, etc. They were built in limited numbers this fall, to test the waters. Your best bet is to find a dealer who was given the opportunity to stock one and to check it out, you won't be disappointed.

I think this deck is going to be what many of you have been looking for and is going to be a great performer.

Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!!