JEEP WRANGLER?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by Mowman, Jan 5, 2001.

1. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

ARE JEEP WRANGLERS ANY GOOD FOR PLOWING? LOOKING AT A NEW WRANGLER. THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.
    Mowman

2. slplow

slplow LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a wrangler but i did hear that they plow well but not as good as the old cjs did.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen them used for narrow lot entrances or where balconies overhang parking areas in apt complexes.

I have not seen them used except noted above for commercial use other than residential.

Hope this helps.
    Kris

4. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

IF you do get one, try to get the lowest axle gear ratio available. It should help with pushing. It will cut into your MPG a little though. Seems new Jeeps have higher gears than the old CJ's, and many new trucks as well have higher gears than their predecessors. This is all about mileage. Lower RPM's at highway speed = better mileage.

~Chuck

5. SlimJim Z71

SlimJim Z71 LawnSite Senior Member

When I took my truck in to get my headlight/plow problem looked at, there was a guy there who was plowing with a Wrangler. He said it worked awesome. He was just tired of all the snow on his windshield, he was buying a snow deflector. He seemed really satisfied with his choice of plow vehicle.

-Tim

6. diggerman

diggerman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Iowa

I used to use two CJ and found that they are awsome as far as speed and manuverability,but they have trouble with a heavy enough drive train and keeping the windows clear with out aux fans or rear heat.Also if you are going to use one make sure its an auto the clutches are just to light for plowing.

7. NEAL

NEAL LawnSite Member
    from WI

I hear Jeep will be coming out with a 2002 model that has Dana 35 axles with 4.11 gears.

Neal

8. brandy

brandy LawnSite Member
    from Pa.

My jeep works great, I plow everything with it commercail and residental, it does the job with out a problem. to be honest with you , I don't think you need a pick-up truck at all this thing plows as good as anything i've driven! I have a 1989 sahara model with a western proplow. I have beefed up the springs in the front and added a cooler for the transmission but besides this nothing, I don't even put weight in the back!!!!

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

we plowed with a 93 wrangler. the best thing in the world. you could go up a driveway and turn around and plow back down. very easy to manuever and to do small lots. had absolutely no problem with not having enough power.

10. DanG

DanG LawnSite Member

In the latest issue of sno-pro(insert in Pro mag) there's an article with a company who uses one for walks and other small places, they built a rack on the back to hold their blowers and shovels etc..

Said it works great.

Dan