Jeeps for plowing?

Discussion in '<a href=http://www.plowsite.com target=_blank ?>Sn' started by AB Lawn Care, Jan 30, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I have often wondered if jeep would be any good for plowing.Has any one used them in the past or present.I know that power might be a problem but i know of kits to switch engines with V8's.If any one has any ideas on this please let me know what you think.<p>THANKS!<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

2. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I saw a ford explorer plowing once. They can do a good job in tight areas. I am trying to find like a 92 or 93 explorer the first year they came out. If i can find one of those i might try to plow the condos with that. A 2 door explorer with 6.5&quot; fisher plow, and 6' pull plow. That might do a great job at the condos. Just thinking up more and more ideas.<p>Geoff

3. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith LawnSite Senior Member

Adam, power is not the biggest concern, weight is. A bigger engine will make the Jeep heavier. Using a light plow will make plowing possible. I had a Jeep with a 4 cylinder, and a Western plow up front. The plow was way too heavy for the Jeep. Dropping the plow caused the Jeep to spin out. This was a 6.5' plow. Not sure what gears were in the axles.<br>My buddy had an 85 CJ, with a 258 six cyl. and a Meyer plow. That Jeep plowed like hell. Ran circles around mine, and even in deep snow (6&quot;+), it did good. Not sure what axle gears he had either. Look for a Jeep with a 258 six, and a light plow. Check out the plow makers websites for weights. There was a thread on this topic before, in the old forum. I wonder if chuck archived it all. Wonder if it's still accessable. I had that old URL somewhere.....<p><br>~Chuck<p>----------<br>Chuck's Chevy Truck Pages - Snowplowing Central<br>http://members.aol.com/csmith669/plowcentral.html

4. SLSNursery

SLSNursery LawnSite Senior Member

My Favorite plow truck was an 81 CJ7 with a 7 1/2 foot Myers on the front. We filled the back with concrete test cylinders to keep it on the ground!!!. I bought it in 93 and sold it in 95. We used it for the two busiest winters ever. It had a 4 speed with a 258, and could turn on a dime. It would eat up large commercial sidewalks. I have a picture I will dig up to put on Chuck's Page. Definitely a good choice if you have tight spots or driveways.<p><p><p>----------<br>Phil Grande - Soundview Landscape Supply - http://members.aol.com/slsnursery<br>Ivy League Landscaping - http://members.aol.com/scagrider

5. MRPLOW

MRPLOW LawnSite Member

I plow with a 1993 GMC S15Jimmy with a 6'8 Snoway plow with the down pressure system. It's got the 4.3 vortech with 200 horses and the very durable 4L60E tranny, oh yeah it's got leather too! Let me tell you that this thing plows like hell. You'll have faster wear and tear on your front end then you would with a full size, but oh well. I've been plowing for 5 years and for driveways up to medium size lots this size vehicle can't be beat. Nobody with a bigger truck plowing near me at the same time has ever finished a driveway faster than me. The turning radius is unbeievable compared to a full size truck. Wacth out for the trannys in the Explorer's and Rangers as they are known to be weak.

6. ford

ford Guest

New jeeps are expensive - almost as much<br>as a truck. The manufacturer says<br>the plow is only for personal use and not<br>commercial use for the plows that fit it.<br>Sure it may do good for driveways but an<br>8' plow on a truck is only 1 1/2 ft. larger.<br>The truck at least 3/4 ton can handle<br>a professional pro plow for commercial use.<br>A jeep is not built as strong as a truck.<br>Just look at the difference between a jeep<br>and 3/4 ton. Then if you get larger jobs<br>you will wish you had the 8' ft blade.<br>Overall i think they are more of a personal<br>use vehicle then one designed to make $$$$<br>clearing snow. I priced a new jeep - around<br>22,000 without a plow. Then the only plow<br>for it is personal use plow.<br>They seem like a waste of $$$$.<br>that is the goal afterall for clearing snow<br>to make $$$$$$$. In a really deep snow I<br>doubt the truck can keep up with a truck<br>for moving alot of snow.<br>bill

7. jeffclc

jeffclc Guest

I think that Jeeps have their place in a plowing fleet. When deciding what vehicle I wanted to plow with, I considered a Jeep. Manuveribility would be awesome, probally as good as it gets for a street legal vehicle.<p>I ended up going with a 3/4 ton pickup. A jeep is simply not suited for the salting that I have to do. There are many times that I wish I was in a Jeep. My truck has a HUGE turning radius. <p>I picked the PU because it is more versital. I can do just about anything that I need, it may take a little more time to manuver. The PU was also better suited to my summer needs.<p>In the future I would like to have a Jeep for a personal vehicle in the summer, and put it into plowing service in the winter. I would only use it fir selected sites.<p>Like anyting, the Jeeps of today are not like the ones past. Older ones are probally a little heaiver, and more suited for plowing.

8. snow

snow Guest

I like the idea of using a jeep or a small 4X4 to plow. My friend has a 92(?) Explorer with a fisher minute mount plow. He plows out small commercial places like McDonalds and the explorer does the job for him. The guys that use jeeps to plow in my area use meyer or western because they aren't as heavy as fishers. I've seen these guys plowing residential driveways, and they work great.<p>Bryan<p>----------<br>The Snowplow Homepage<br>http://www.snowplow.web.com<br>

9. GeoffDiamond

GeoffDiamond LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

I am thinking about getting a ranger with a 6.9 fisher minute mount, and 6' pull plow to do those condos. I can use the truck in the summer so it might be a better choice than the skid steer. I am going to think about it, and maybe try a skid steer at the condos. I might try a skid steer with a blade and if it works well, go with that. Maybe the ranger would be better, a small truck has it's place. When i first got started i plowed with a 9' on a 1/2 ton, that can't be any worse than a 6.9 on the ranger. Oh well just something to think about.<p>Geoff

10. Jason

Jason LawnSite Senior Member

Why not build a 3/4 or even 1 ton jeep? Do a spring over put full width Dana 60's underneath, or GM Corporate 14 bolt rear with dana 60 front. Stuff the pigs with 4.56 gears, and Detroits. Old AMC 304's, 360's, 401's in Jeeps like the Commando were backed with TH400's which are stout. Upgrade the t-case to an Atlas II. Mount up some 33's and plow. Besides in the summer you'd have an awesome rockcrawling machine. Just dreaming a bit. I do own a 72' Commando with a spring over and a 360 sitting on 33's. Plans are for the 1 ton axles. So maybe I'll be trying out this setup somewhere in the future.