JERK dealer.... some nerve

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Jun 8, 2005.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, this jerk dealer single-handedly put me back to square one in less than 60 seconds.... Here's the story.

OK, I was really boucing around on my decision to pick up a new 60" ZTR. I had my choices narrowed down and had pretty much settled. But I was really personally struggling inside about Cub v/s Lesco. In other words, Cub is local to me, which to me means supporting your local dealer as well as having a service location close by. While on the other hand, Lesco is sort of a chain and much farther away....

Thing is I understand why the Lesco is cheaper and there is absolutely nothing wrong with how Lesco is doing things. It's smart and a benefit to my wallet to the tune of over $2,000.

Now, there is more than one Cub dealer here, and I hadn't been to one in particular but maybe once or twice in the last two years (for odd items like repair parts, 2 cycle oil). But today, it just so happens they have a 60" Cub TANK sitting out front and it looks like the Wide-Track version. So I go back for a quick look.

One good look at the overall setup of this mower and I decided I was SOLD! During a post- GIE conversation I was made aware that a Lesco rep gave me bad information. Point is that Lesco does not offer this Wide-Track option yet and I really like it.

The only thing I saw on this Cub that raised any question at all that this was the mower of choice for me is the fact that for some reason they did not extend the stock stripe kit on the back of the deck to cover the increased distance between the tires. So I headed inside for a quick price check and to set up a demo.

I didn't have a problem with the quoted price. But the rude remarks that followed this simple question "is there any sort of demo program available from here or from Cub that would allow for me to demo one on a lawn or two to make sure I like it?"

Boy oh boy what some nerve.... they guy says "No Cub doesn't do that. Only these little dinky companies with two bit mowers do that stuff. Looking at the mower speaks for itself. Either you want it or you don't."

On top of the wording was the tone in which it was said. It just crawled all over me. It came off in a way that just instantly offened me. It's not like this guy doesn't know me, know I'm a serious buyer, and know I have the money or anything. In fact, I spent a good deal of the '02/'03 winter shopping and I tried my best to do business with them in the spring of '03 on a different brand mower. The reason I didn't??? You guessed it, they wanted me to buy it outright without a demo.

After much thought and discussion with them, I moved on and bought new mowers elsewhere. This guy knows I did too because I've passed by there loaded on a regular basis and I always offer a friendly wave every time I see him.

Now I just don't understand this attitude. I don't know if he was having a bad day. Or if he's angry at me for not buying from him before. Or if he is mad about loosing more sales like he lost mine to other dealers who offer demos. Or if he doesn't like commercial guys. Or if he just honestly feels his product is that high and mighty.

I don't know. But I do know this.... He lost a sale in less than 60 seconds.
    I really don't have any doubt I would have bought that mower from him and paid way too much for it if the demo proved it did not leave behind streaky stripes.... even if he would have just given me 10 minutes on the machine right there on his property.... I would have taken it home.

HIS LOSS :angry:
    SOMEONE ELSE'S GAIN payup

2. Ed Ryder

Ed Ryder LawnSite Senior Member

That dealer sucks and he got the outcome he deserved. You shouldn't give it another thought. Really.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

So what mower did you go with?

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Well, what I wrote about just happened. So as I said, I'm sorta back to square one again. This all sorta screwed up my buyer's state of mind if you know what I mean. My thoughts are all crossed up again.

I've gotta sort everything out again. I'm going to have to make a decision and make a purchase soon though. But rest assured that jerk will never see a dime of my money.

5. Appalachian landscape

Appalachian landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I like grasshoppers, exmarks, scags, and hustlers. but I really like grasshoppers. maybe try to go demo one.

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Mabey he knew it was for sure gonna leave streaky stripes and that's why he woulden't let you demo it.
    Tell me were you speaking to the owner of the shop or some employee of his??If it was not the owner...well there ya go.If it was the owner I would have spelled out to him exactly why I was not buying from him that day and why I did not the time before.In a loud voice too.There is no reason for anyone to treat a customer with anything other than the utmost respect.

7. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Don't take it personally. As a former salesman of high ticket items, I know that this guy was just trying to strong arm you. Some customers respond well to that tactic (in other words-they buy), although I must admit I never understood why. I never tried to pressure people in that manner because it's rude, and I would not want to be treated that way. I'm not defending him, he's obviously a complete jerk, and I would never buy anything from someone who was rude and condescending, but that's just how he goes about selling. If you buy from someone like that, and run into a problem down the road, he'll be of no help to you. You made the right move going elsewhere. I agree with Sheshovel in that I would have told him right then and there that I would never buy something from a salesman who was rude and disrespectful. When you show these salesman that you aren't one to be screwed with they will almost always change their tone real quick.....

8. Tn Lawn Man

Tn Lawn Man LawnSite Senior Member

When in situations like this I often try to make it a point to inform people as to why this "relationship" is being severed.

As soon as he made the dinky two bit company comment I would have politely said that "I am a dinky two bit company".....and then watch him squirm.

If he is a person that truly valued your business, he indeed would have squirmed.

If he was a true jerk through and through it would not have fazed him. However, he would know without a doubt that he lost your business because of HIM and not because you were a "dinky two bit" business.

9. gotgreen?

gotgreen? LawnSite Member

Same experience, but with a small item. I had my 21" super recycler "severed from me" about 2 months ago. I went to a couple of dealers looking for a replacement, well I like to ask questions about products, and I found that they just don't like to answer any, they only care about a quick sale. On another dealer a salesman told me that a 21" I was looking for was to expensive for me and tried to show me something that I didn't want and wasn't very happy that I wasn't interested on what he was showing me. Well, I ended up buying same mower and cheaper from http://www.speedwaysales.com , after all I do my own maintenance on my equipment and have no much use from dealers other than to buy equipment (not that I have that much) or replacement parts if I need to. Now, if it comes to a big ticket item, when the time comes, very simple: no demo, no money, my money.

10. gotgreen?

gotgreen? LawnSite Member

Well, need to be fair and say that not all dealers are the same, maybe I came across a couple of jerks.