Jerk doesn't want to pay..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cessnasovereign, Jun 7, 2006.

1. cessnasovereign

cessnasovereign LawnSite Senior Member

I was planning on signing up a large commercial property for a 12 year contract. They wanted to see how we did for the first cut, so we went out there and did a good job but I decide not to accept the contract because the property is really a pain in the ass.. There's alot of hills and dangerous spots such as huge drops and big holes in the ground, bricks all over the place, etc. So anyway, it was going to be $337.50 a cut, we went out there the first day and cut it and trimmed the hedges. The hedges were to be included in the year contract price, but since I did not accept the contract, they will be billed for the cut plus $270 for the hedges. I try calling him but he won't pick up so I email him and ask for an address to send the invoice and he says "did you finish the job?"
    So...... I'm guessing he isn't planning on paying. What are my options short of showing up and kicking his ass. :usflag:

Does olddebts.com work well for commercial properties? An attorney probably wouldn't be worth it, would it?

I know it's not alot of money and it isn't going to make or break me but it's the principle of the matter, I know some of you guys just take the hits and let them get away with it but not me. I can't stand to see people get away with that kind of stuff. So, how can I get my money?

2. cessnasovereign

Oh and another reason why I didn't accept the property is because I knew they would be PITA's. It's 2 property managers and I set everything up with one and never talked to the other until the day of the first cut. Well guy 1 wanted a price to clear some brush off of a fence, I went out and measured it, and the fence was 188.5 feet long, I emailed him the details and price of $375, he called me back and said he thinks the fence is a little longer than that so I asked if he was talking about the L section near it (about another 25 feet) and he said yes so I told him ok I'll just include that since the brush wasn't thick at all on that smaller section. Well we get out there and guy 2 says to start on the left side of the fence to clear brush when the fence I quoted is on the right side of the property. That idiot thought we were going to clear about 8,000 FEET of fencing for $375, when most of the brush on the left side is trees! It would literally take 20-30 dump truck loads of brush for that much, he could offer me $10,000 and I wouldn't do it simply because I don't have the resources...

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

So far there is no indication he is not going to pay. Answer his question nicely, explain your reasons for not taking the job, thank him for the opportunity to bid, and present him with the bill for the cut and hedges.

No sense slamming him, or jumping to any conclusions yet or it will just be your loss. Why is he a jerk for asking if you finished?

deej

4. cessnasovereign

I did explain nicely in the first email why I did not accept the job and also on his voicemail. He was there when we were cutting and there afterwards so he knows the job was finished. However as we were packing up he left which is why I didn't get to talk to him then. So, he knows it was completed and that is why he's a jerk cause he wasn't simply asking for clarification.

5. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

Fair enough, but there is still no indication that he is not going to pay.

If you go on the war path with him, the likelyhood he is not going to pay goes up. Show him that you are a good business man and a gentleman, and he is more likely to treat you right.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Nobody said 'We are not paying.' Yes, I see the hint too, but that's not good enough, only when someone comes out and says they're not paying a red cent is it good enough. It's the law, we as businesses have to give folks the opportunity to pay (yes, even when we're 90% sure they won't pay, see my thread about the Chinaman I thought would not pay me, I am glad this law exists because it held me back from going over there to exchange some words, meanwhile I got my check in the mail yesterday). So, the law exists for more than one good reason.

Before you go to olddebts, you said you sent a bill, correct?
    Wait 30 days from the day the work was completed. You did send the first bill soon afterwards? If you did not send it off fast (up to a week is ok but not longer), then wait 30 days from the day you sent the bill, otherwise the other option.
    After 30 days, if you have not gotten your money, send a 2nd bill with the note 'Prompt payment prevents late fee' and wait 30 more days. If, after 60 days you have not received your money, add a 30 dollar or so late fee and put this note on the bill: Prompt payment prevents collection and credit record issues. (and remove the note about the late fee).

Now you're in the 60-90 day late pay cycle, which makes you legally eligible to start worrying about this money but until then you really have to wait, we do have to give everybody the same chance, they have to be given at least some time.
    Yeah, so once you're down to 2.5 months (or 75-odd days and they've gotten their bills and no check), then olddebts should work but up until that point it really is a bit of falalala...

If it helps, I've gotten checks before in the 90-120 day late pay cycle.
    It doesn't do much for my funny bone, but I got paid in the end and that is all that matters.

7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

If it helps any, what you might do before you send the 2nd bill, when you get the bill ready to go out, call the guy or go speak to him but be calm, and simply ask 'who gets this bill?' If he says what's it for or who is this, simply answer the question: I am YourFirstName with YourCompanyName and some work was done on y'allses property some time ago and this bill needs to be sent out, I am wondering who is responsible?

If that doesn't work, then ask if this is owned by an association, and if so, where is the Treasurer's office?

See, that lets them know you know a little of something, and hopefully they just send you over to the treasurers and you can submit your 2nd bill (you might want to have another 2nd bill handy without the late fee thing just in case it all goes honky-dory) and so then go from there.

8. MarcSmith

MarcSmith LawnSite Fanatic

usuallygetting a check fomr a commercial property does take some time, especially if its a one time check. gotte set up th vendor in the syetem, athe w4's, ect...

9. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

So you are saying the 2nd guy instructed you to add on clearing a section of the fence and you did the wrong section? I don't know if you will get paid for that work. You might should have met him on the job and had him show you exactly what he wanted you to do. You should get paid for the work you actually did and did correctly. I agree with the others that you are know where near getting the shaft yet.
    I would also have walked the entire property before agreeing to do the job. You said you found out it was a pia after you did it. A walk through would have told you that. Maybe you did and just didn't have enough experience to recognize trouble when you see it.

10. M RASCOE&SONS

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

im wondering why you did the work in the first place if your were not gonna do the contract..