jerkoff people

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bobcatnj, Jul 13, 2007.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i just love this jerkoffs. lawn customer of mine that wanted some landscape work done in the front. i did some work in the back last year. so i give her a price and a drawing, but its 2 high for her. so i say whatever. so 2day we go to the house to mow and the front is landscaped. to my exact design. man i was ******* pissed off.probaly some jerkoff does landscape work on the side did it for 20 bucks. the damn mulch was overloaded and so damn bumpy looks like rolling thunder. all i can say is whatever hahaha. think im going to start charging for design estimates if they want a pic.

2. Eakern & Dog

Eakern & Dog LawnSite Senior Member

That really stinks ! You should mention to her,( nicely of course) that your design that she used took time away from other revenue making oppourtunites and that you will not be providing free advice in the furure since there appears to be no pay back on her part. Reminds me of when I used to work at a Landcape Nursery .People would come in and burn my ear for an hour or so ,asking what to plant in their yard and then go over to Home Depot and buy the plants. Some people had no shame !

3. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

2 things you need to do in the future to alleviate this problem.

1) Discuss budget with them first before you even do a design. No point in designing a 10K landscape when their budget is $4500

2) Either charge for the design or charge for the design and tell them if they have you complete the job, the design charge will be credited towards the price of the work.

Also....... Never give the client the design. Present it to them....discuss it.... then take it with you when you leave.

4. Turf Professionals Inc.

Turf Professionals Inc. LawnSite Member

Good advice Evan 528!

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I like that advise... lookin is for free... but keepin is gonna cost ya!

6. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems to me that the maintenance costs considering the new layout may have just gone up a few dollars a visit. Is there going to be some added trimming/pruning, bed edging and weeding?

7. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Evan is right on. When you are doing any type of design work, the budget is extremely important. My pencil can draw a $3000 landscape, a $30000 landscape and when the situation is right, a $300000 or more landscape.

You should definitely be paid for any professional quality design work you perform. I'm sure your intention was to recover the design costs in the installation, but as you already know, you don't always get the job. You can also have all of your work copyrighted, and anyone using your designs without your permission or having paid for that design is in violation of copyright laws. This is more a leverage tool than something that win a court battle, but it is your work and you should be compensated for it. If you do designs for free, the clients put that same value on it.

I will only leave a concept for a client to peruse, never a final drawing, plant list or notes until that design is paid for. if you value your time and efforts for your design work, so will your clients.

Kirk

8. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

as i said yesterday "no more mr. nice guy"

9. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

One more thought on the design charge...

Make sure you tell them at what level the design will be credited. Early on, we had some customers try to get away with only installing a portion of the design and still thinking they could get the design fee credited. For example, we would tell them the design is $500 (for example) and that it would be credited against the installation. We come back with a $10,000 installation plan and they would try to only do a couple thousand and get the full credit. Wrong. Now we tell them they must do at least 15 times the amount of the design to get the full credit. So $7500 in the above example.

Good luck...

Dan

10. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

I don't credit anything........I do a design you pay me and I get paid when I meet them for the first time, before I draw anything. I explain what is involved with travel, measure, scale etc....before its over we meet three times. Time is money.

In the past I've 'credited' but in reality I added it to the cost of the project. If I draw a $500 design on a $10,000 budget.....as the example given......no way I'm taking a $500 hit. My overhead doesn't take a little off the top and neither do I on smaller applications.