Jerky controls

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Company5, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Company5

Company5 LawnSite Member

Never have used an Exmark until Tuesday. Mowed some with a friends HP. Also stopped by a dealer Thursday and drove one around the lot. On both occassions noticed that the unit would jerk somewhat. It wasn't as smooth as the Scag or Hustler I drove. Could someone please enlighten me as to why that might be. Doesn't mean I wouldn't buy an Exmark. They probably have the most proactive dealer in this area in Campbell's. All they live to serve is commercial mowing and they have a very large market in that area.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Company5:

Thanks for the post. Check where the drive levers were located on the steering blocks. The drive levers are adjustable. The reason we made the levers adjustable was for larger people or tall people. This gives them a little more room. When dealers put them in the top of the slots, it makes it a little easier to move them back and forth. You have more leverage on the drive levers. Sometimes this contributes to the herky jerkiness that some people feel.

Was this a brand new unit off the floor or a demo model? If it was a demo unit and had a steering dampener going bad, that can also make it more difficult to control.

More often than not, the difference is where the drive levers are in relation to the slots, and you're right. Campbell's is a great dealership. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Service

3. Company5

Company5 LawnSite Member

Dustin,
    Thanks for replying. My friends 44"hp is of course used, and the unit at the dealer is brand new. Same exact mower. I was just concerned about the possibility of wheel spin when driving this unit on turf. It seemed that more attention would have to be paid to prevent damage. I was looking at the HP 48 or 52 eith the 23 Kohler. I would think the hydros were the same so the jerkiness would be the same also. Anyways, being that Exmarks are like weeds around here, I was going to go up to Campbells on Tuesday and hopefully they can make me feel all good inside about this and calm my worst fears. I'll be taking my trailer so if I don't come home with something, I won't be coming home at all.

Thanks for everything,

Hoyt

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hoyt,

Minimizing tire spin when turning just takes practice. I'm sure all the other guys on LS.com who use Exmark can verify this.

Heck. . .just keeping a straight line when a guy gets on his first ZTR is a challenge; however, with a little patience and practice, you'll be just fine. Let me know how it goes.

Talk to you later,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Service