1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jerry Baker Products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by scott015, Jun 11, 2001.

1. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

got a catelog in the mailbox yesterday...wondering if anyone ever used his stuff....is it any good?
  2. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

The name sounds really familiar but can't remeber exactly. Do they list a website?
  3. scott015

scott015 LawnSite Member

4. Bluegrass Group

Bluegrass Group LawnSite Member

He's the guy on PBS TV that uses, beer, sugar, Sprite, chewing tobacco and other household products in place of pesticides and fert. He has some really interesting theories on horticulture. I think it would be a little tough to explain to a customer why you're pouring Budweiser on his lawn! He is geared towards homeowners but if you get in a bind with a real enviromental conscience customer some of his ideas might be a solution.
  5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

No I remeber! I don't know, I tried organic ferts one year on my own lawn, that I had always used Scotts products on, and it turned out like crap.

Maybe I would try some of the little things, but I probobly would not be a converter to an all organic way of doing things.

Sorry, just my opinion!
  6. If you read the recipes you will see that he includes the usual pesticides and fertilizers in his potions.
  7. Grassman

Grassman LawnSite Member

Some or most of his remedies probably work but only on the homeowner scale. Russ
  8. Just Turned Pro

Just Turned Pro LawnSite Member

I tried his lawn formulas on my own yard a season ago... The results seemed the same as standard ferts but it was a lot more work. In the time it took to mix up one of his "potions" I could get the whole yard done with granules and a rotary spreader.
  9. Lobster

Lobster LawnSite Member

Going organick can work, but the results are not immediate, especially if you go from the traditional means to the organick means in a short period of time. Going organick means in effect creating an environment that encourages beneficial micro organisms to flourish. Sometimes you may need to use traditional methods to control something when it gets ahead of the organick game, but over time, a good looking lawn can be had using organick methods. In our line of work, customers want instant results for the best price. So I have custumers who are true and tried organick custumers, and I have customers who no matter what I try to teach them will always prefer the traditional methods of lawn care. If I'm not mistaken, most of what Baker does recreates products from household products that you can purchase commercially in 'ready to use' formats.