Jersey Guys

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by DLAWNS, Nov 8, 2008.

1. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

NJ is a joke when it comes to this,
    Just today while talking to my partner in the Hess Station
    we counted 6 landscapers with no commercial plates, 2 of them even had fertilizer spreaders and bags of Lesco Pre-em in their trucks in plain sight. All in 30 minutes this morning.
    They (NJ) make us buy all these licenses and insurance and workers comp and it gets to a point we cant compete with them. It never really bothered me as much as it does now. Did an estimate today for $50 and the lady said to me the last company here gave her a price of $30 and they would bag it...LOL
    She showed it to me it was scribbled on a piece of paper with the company name on top. Actually said $30 ..cash only .. no tax ....nice

Something needs to be done

2. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Its exactly how i feel. They need to get these state workers to drive around (or sit in a gas station between 730-1030) and do their audits. Not look in the phone book where legit companies are listed. I don't care who wants to start a business and do landscaping, just do it the legit way with insurance and licenses and such. I spend entirely to much money in taxes and insurance to watch these people come out and cut lawns out of the back of a pick up. Its amazing the price difference between $30 and $50.

3. JDavisLandscapes

JDavisLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Couldnt of said it better myself. Its so true.

4. Gman2310

Gman2310 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

just when i said something i go by a lawyers office in toms river and there it is, a mexican cutting the lawn with an electric lawn mower. I think i have almost seen it all. I mean it wouldnt be a bad idea if they mad standers in electric and i could just plug into clients building. It will save $$$$$ on fuel.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 LawnSite Member

I had and estimate out for mulching they then told me they just wanted the mulch delivered. But her Husband had a price $200 less then mine. I told her she better check with her husband on the amount of mulch her Husband is getting for $200 less. She couldn't answer how many yards she was getting. But Most people compare price and not what they are actually getting.

6. xclusive

xclusive LawnSite Bronze Member

Such a true statement

7. blk90s13

blk90s13 LawnSite Bronze Member

Who works in Toms river ? a big job for me to do ( work alone ) grading topsoil seeding on New Hampshire ave close to 30k sq ft

Where to dump brush in Matawan ? near 79 ?
    maybe getting a job up there and dont wanna haul brush all the way out to Tintonfalls

8. rcpeoples

rcpeoples LawnSite Member

Anyone work in the Bradley Beach area ? I know a small condo association looking for year round service. PM me for contact info.

9. Guzzo856

Guzzo856 LawnSite Senior Member

anyone looking to sell a skid steer

10. Surf'n'Turf

Surf'n'Turf LawnSite Senior Member

there's absolutely nowhere around here that takes grass clippings (i live in middletown). try the county landfill but its big $$$ from what i've heard. unless there is an area on the property where u can dump, cut it and leave it i say.