Jersey Guys

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by DLAWNS, Nov 8, 2008.

1. RossiLawns

RossiLawns LawnSite Member

NJ Shade. I hear ya. The trouble is with the off the books guys, I think. Just seems as of late I have been getting replies that cost was high and later I see a unmarked truck without commercial tags on the job. I could understand guys from my County not posting pricing. Thanks for the reply anyway.

2. Nj shade

Nj shade LawnSite Member
    from Nj

I hear you and feel your pain on the non sign, non tax, non insured etc guys...they have killed the lawn business, close to killing the paver and landscape install business. I'm not as big as you, however I tell potential customers right up front if price is how you determine who your hiring I am not the guy for you, then follow that up with laminated copies of my licenses and insurance certificates to show EXACTALY why I am more than the cheap guys. Personally I don't give out pricing unless I am bidding a job.

I support and am trying to get a statewide landscaper license, decal on truck(s), that can be enforced by local PD to make the business competitive for all. Not to be a complainer but just griping and trying to build support for the statewide license.

3. RossiLawns

RossiLawns LawnSite Member

I have meeting with my local Mayor this week. The thing is there are laws already on the books that the local PD can ticket and enforce. HIC registration, Pesticide Lic., commercial tags on truck and etc. Every local government is looking for revenue and enforcing these laws could provide some money with the fines and protect residents from people doing work on their property without safe equipment and insurance.

4. Nj shade

Nj shade LawnSite Member
    from Nj

I wish someone would fwd that info to any local pd in my area. Pretty sure though that HIC license is enforced by consumer affairs and that pesticide license is enforced by DEP. I wish dep would sit outside lesco or other fert supplier and check licenses, paper work etc.

5. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

6. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

Wow sitting outside lesco...That would be too easy.
    you wouldn't believe the people that go there and pick up pallets

I would say now 30-50% of all lawn crews are not operating properly.
    There are a couple major companies in Jackson alone...
    I dont think anybody cares anymore

7. TJLANDS

TJLANDS LawnSite Bronze Member

8. robtown

robtown LawnSite Member
    from NJ

And local pd could start ticketing people for no commercial plates with signs all over it and tools in the back.....or plowing.
    Cops are to busy being fake lawn and landscape pros.....and they get there herbicide illegally from lesco as well.

9. Nj shade

Nj shade LawnSite Member
    from Nj

Cops in Marlboro nj do enforce the no commercial plates, I know bc got ticket in personal truck pulling trailer one time work truck in shop.

TJlands...I couldn't agree more about no one caring as long as they get their $$ for fert and pest lic

10. Lawn132012

Lawn132012 LawnSite Member
    from NJ

Are you kidding me with this snow again today. I hear we may get up to 3 inches! Is that true?