Jersey Guys

Discussion in 'Network: North' started by DLAWNS, Nov 8, 2008.

1. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Great thanks. Yeah when I'm done at CCM I think I'm going to continue at Rutgers. Where do they offer their ag courses? I know they have a few campuses and the main one is about an hour and a half from me.

2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The professional short course are at the New Brunswick campus, in what used to be called Cook College. It has some new name now, but same great location. The landscape architecture department is also located there. it's about an hour and half north for me as well, but the classes are definitely worthwhile.

Kirk

3. AAXteriors

AAXteriors LawnSite Member

Anybody got any snow yet? right now we have about .5in on the ground and its still snowing.

4. sicnj

sicnj LawnSite Senior Member

Kirk,
    Are you going to take any classes at Rutgers this Winter?

Matt

5. Dreams To Designs

Matt, I'll definitely be there for many classes. The water management and drainage class is this month on the 17th, and that is an essential program for anyone doing any type of landscaping or hardscaping. Drainage is such an important, overlooked aspect of landscapes, and it's a good money maker as well. Are you thinking of attending some of the short courses?

As long as the student numbers warrant it, I will be at the Basics of Plant Materials for Landscape use as well as Beds and Borders and I would certainly like to attend Principles and Practices of Landscape Design as well as a couple of the new design specific programs. Every program has real world instructors that are performing what they are teaching, for paying clients.

Kirk

6. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

We got about a half an inch here in Manchester. I need it to melt so that I can finish leaves ASAP.

7. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

8. DLAWNS

DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic

Hey guys, does anyone know if it is too late to put in some violas or pansies? When I used to work at Brickman we put them in at the end of the year but I think I missed my window. Any help would be appreciated.

9. Dreams To Designs

Bill, you can definitely put them in, but they likely won't look very good. The cold has been brutal along with the winds. If they are planted properly and mulched in, you should get a good show come spring.

If you are looking for some winter color for a good client, check out Hellebores. They are not at all cheap, but the show they put on in the winter is amazing. They are perennial and will continue to expand the clump year after year. They make an amazing winter ground cover. Depending on your climate, they may completely disappear in the heat of summer or just look very disheveled, but you can cut the evergreen foliage back.

Kirk

10. Dreams To Designs

Barry, is that a good show? I have never attended and I see it starts tomorrow. I'm always up for some additional education, and that is not too far from me.

Kirk