Jiangdong(Chinese Honda Lookalikes)

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by dutch1, Nov 27, 2007.

1. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with these. I had a gent that I've done some work for before bring me a portable air compressor with a 5 hp Jiangdong--10 hrs on it. No compression--found stuck eshaust valve and bent push rod.

Seller would not provide any warranty service.

Dutch

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

We sell PowerTrains which are Honda knock-offs and I haven't had any problems at all with them. In-fact I installed one on a contractor's flat plate tamper and a roofer's Rol-Air compressor a couple years ago and their still going strong.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Restro, that was the first that I had seen. The owner said that the seller told him they can be repaired using Honda parts--anything to that. Seller would not provide any warranty.

Dutch

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well, That must not be a very good seller if he won't cover what he sells.

What I heard is Honda sold the blue prints to these engines to other manufactures and they build them to the Honda specs, We sold quite a few generators during hurricane season a couple years ago. The only problem I've seen is people leaving fuel in them and gumming the carbs up, I have used Honda carb kits and complete carbs on these knock-offs with no problem.

Having sold these engines for a while and doing routine maintenance (being around them) I wouldn't think twice about ordering in Honda replacement parts for one.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

The amish around here use this brand also. I asked them about them, they said they have had no problems. They also use a funny name single cylinder diesel.

6. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

If I understand right... Jiang has different grands of motors.

We bought a Jiang generrator after katrina... ran flawless for 1 week then the govoner went out however the engine still runs. Im told its 200 to repair it. This is the blue motor and the advertised output is about half of the continus rating.

An email to Jiang dong in china directed me to Jiang dong america where they did not send me a new motor but offered me a brand new generator for only 60 dollars for shipping. This unit has been great and has served well. It is NOT honda quality however. Especially the electrical components of it. It does however start and run well and uses very little fuel. The new one is the black unit and I think its a 3500w and will run 3k continuous. Uses about half a gallon or less per hour which is really great especially after the hurricane when gas was hard to find. I still use my black one from time to time when a storm knocks out power or when I need remote power on a job.

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Garbage. Our Honda rep says that Honda has trying to battle these things in court and such. Not sure how far they will get.

I did put a set of honda brushes in one of these Generators once. I had to put a washer in because the mold or something was not done right in the end bell. The original burshes had worn but they were not lined up with the rings they ride on. So I put a washer in with the honda ones so that they lined up properly...LOL. It came back a few months later with low compression.

Most of them we tell the people to take it somewhere else. Dont need the headaches of working on junk.

Now if one of them wants to go legit and put out a decent product and provide their own parts for it instead of telling you to go use someone elses parts that is fine. Until then I will stick with Honda...even if they are made in china, at least they are made under Honda's eye.

I have seen some copies of the Yamaha engine that is built for Kohler also...mostly on Coleman generators and Pressure washers. Those have not been a problem since Coleman backs their stuff up. I had a pressure washer with a broken valve spring. The part is not available so they sent me a new pressure washer for the customer.

8. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

A stuck valve is not usually a warranty situation. That's a stale, gummy fuel issue. As for parts, a lot of aftermarket companies carry parts for these & a lawn & garden service center would have access to those. Also, the compressor manufacture does not usually handle the warranty for the engine, no matter if it's JaiDong, Honda, B&S or others. However a call to customer service of yje equipmant manufacturer can get results. I have dealt with these engines for a few years & all companies have been more than willing to make things right.

9. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Heard about a guy that got one of the single cylinders diesels from a company that sells them on eBay. In less than an hour of run time the cam was all scored up and bent a push rod, and there was sludgy oil in the sump. He believes it was not new, but a return -- but the company won't send him a new engine. All he got was a lot of runaround and red tape. The prices on those diesels were kind of tempting -- before I knew about this.

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

I have had to put my hands in both the blue and the yellow knockoffs. The powertrain (yellow) engines were all to like quality as the original hondas. The blue engies were of like quality for most of the parts, but it seems that the material that was used for plastic parts and some of the sheet metal is sub-standard and failure and damage-prone.