1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jig for sharping blades

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowmyyard, May 27, 2002.

1. Mowmyyard

Mowmyyard LawnSite Member

Have bench grinder, need info on Jig or whatever methods used to PROPERLY sharping the blades on our DC's.

Thanks, BTW love this forum have probably read 80% of posts in the last three nights. Lots of good information you fellas are putting out. I know it has me rethinking the way we do things in Ohio.
  2. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

If you want to sharpen your blades accurately (correct angle) get a dedicated blade grinder. There are some real nice ones out there. Try a search on blade grinders. Good luck.
  3. P&J Lawncare

P&J Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Where in northwest ohio are you and who sells DC'S in the area because I didn't know of anyone around here who sells them. We use a r.b.g grinder and love it. If you are anywhere near Oregon I would be glad to show you this grinder and how easy it is to operate.
  4. Mowmyyard

Mowmyyard LawnSite Member

Thanks for the Info.

Lima to be specific and Cut Right Equipment says and services our equipment.
  5. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

I just bought an R.B.G. 121 off of a fellow lawnsite member and I love it. It really makes a difference. Just do a search on them and you can find out how to purchase one. I used to handgrind all my blades but I found out when I got a dedicated grinder for my blades that I wasn't holding a very accurate angle at all. Hope this helps:)
  6. gogetter

gogetter Banned

No chance. I've spent countless hours here over the last YEAR and I probably still haven't read 80% of everything!

But to answer your question, as others have mentioned a dedicated blade grinder is best.
    However, since you asked about a "jig" to give you the right angle on your bench grinder, check e-Bay under blade sharpener.
    There is a guy there that advertises a "jig" just as you mentioned.
    I couldn't tell you whether it works or not, but it fits your question. Good luck.
  7. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Ditto on what gogetter said!