Jim

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by RhettMan, May 2, 2014.

1. RhettMan

RhettMan LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

sorry in here, wish i could upload pics via PM

20140502_075828.jpg

2. RhettMan

from Texas

im not sure this was a good purchase (perhaps time will prove one way or the other)

but I still wonder, who wants to work in soggy marsh areas anyway?

In case of leak..
    why not just close iso valve to system
    let the leak area dry up
    once dry then re-open iso valve and allowing the new wet spot to expose the location of the leak...?

im not arguing this point for any other purpose than to learn a better alternative.

3. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I did some searching for that particular locator Rhett. I'd never heard of the xlt-20.

Lance Anderson from leaktools said it went out of production about 20 years ago and was replaced by the xlt-30.

Lance said that the 20 is analog while the 30 is digital. You may like the 20 a lot. My xlt-16 is analog and one of the reasons I don't go digital.

I think you'll do ok, just don't run over it with the truck.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. RhettMan

from Texas

20 years wow.

but this thing looks brand new. Is it not an often used tool for irrigators?

I love my 521a because I know I couldnt be without it, i'd like to think the same about this tool aswell...please :)

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Leak detector?

6. RhettMan

from Texas

thats what it claims...

7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I took a quick look at your xlt-20 and if you decide to sell it, gimme a call. There's the Bigfoot with rigid handle. The soil probe and what looks like a little foot mic too. Pretty good deal.

Here's a couple hard learned tips. Don't use adjustable wrenchs on the soil probes. Carry the right wrench for the barrel nuts. Don't tighten the soil probe mic by hand. Do mute before you move the mic. Use a silent tank for pinpoint locating
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. RhettMan

from Texas

and the silent tank prevails yet again.

let me just own up to it, I dont have the guts to try it, or, i have been to lazy to change from my method of just letting it dry up first.

but, without a doubt: considering the leak detection only guys...........Im missing out on opportunitys to profit (im I the only one that feels like I have used profanity when I say profit?) screw it i'll just say it, I want to make more profit, there.

and I havent been able to charge anyone for my "letting it dry up first" service, yet anyway.

9. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

I have a zero $ advertising budget Rhett. My work comes word of mouth through supply houses and people that I've worked for.

Work seems to be like a hole in a dike. You can spend all day plugging it with your finger for xxx$ or fix the damned thing for XXX$$$.

I support conservation and try to educate people on the monetary saving that is the result of locating leaks/ wires/ valves for repairs. Remember that you can't fix anything until it's location is known.

I'm not a real good salesman so I don't even try to sell anyone in anything. I just tell most people that I will find their valves, wires or leaks for xxx$ and fix it if they want or they can have someone else fix the issue.

All I can tell you is don't oversell your ability or undersell your time and investment. Once you feel comfortable, make your customers pay you acordonlly and in turn, do a professional job for them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck Rhett!