Jimlewis style fleet

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Tbarchaser, Nov 16, 2003.

1. Tbarchaser

Tbarchaser LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Ok kids,
    Its time to add to the fleet, the nissan(4 cyl) and the durango need to stop pulling trailers. I would like to use the nissan for sales and my daily driver. The crews need to be in real trucks.
    I am impressed with Jim Lewis and the old chevys it looks like a good option. What is all of your opinions on buying 77,78 or 79 chevy 1/2 tons with the 350 auto 2wd? I see them everywhere for 1k and all they need is paint and tires. They seem to be built well and would allow me to have two on the road for the cost of the down payment on a new one?

Pros? cons? or whatever fill me in I'm a moron when it comes to trucks.

2. Tbarchaser

from Florida

Here is an example asking price $1000.00

truck $1000
    paint $400
    Lettering $250

$1650

Am I crazy or can I get away with this?

00374591904.jpg

3. MacLawnCo

MacLawnCo LawnSite Bronze Member

definately you can get away with it. As Jim has said, repairs are cheap, easily done, and will last a while. If i remember correctly, you run a stander and a wb, right? A half ton would do fine for that.

4. Tbarchaser

from Florida

It will be pulling a 6.5x12 open with a 42 stander and 61 sentar.

So I should be fine with that. Once in a while it would pull the 16' tandem with two 61's

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

That is a GREAT truck! I wish I could find solid trucks like that around here! All the sheetmetal is good, the cabmounts aren;'t all rusted out,...etc. The REAL beauty of it,..is the simplicity - the ability to work on it.

6. RyanVT2005

RyanVT2005 LawnSite Member
    from VA

Just my opinion...So you buy the older truck paint it and letter it. Does it look ok? Yes. But what is the first impression a customer or client sees when that truck pulls up to their property? An old truck, probably with some dings, might be blowing a little smoke. First impressions when trying to get business or keep business are very important.

Will it cost more to have a nice new clean shiny truck? Yes of course. Is it worth it to keep your business and grow your company? Definitely.

Just my opinion, hopefully will create discussion

7. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

If the truck is clean and painted nice, I really don't think the customer will care what year it is. Secondly, when he bought it, if it did smoke, He could get a goodwrench 350 (260hp/350lbft) from his local chevy dealer for around 1500 dollars and drop that in over the course of a weekend. That engine also comes with a 36 month/50,000 mile warrantee.

So for about 10% of the cost of a new truck he has something clean and dependable that will last him for a long time.

A big thing about the 73-87 trucks though is rust. a little spot can turn into a big one pretty quick. Be careful around the rockers and the cab mounts.

8. Lawn Tek

Lawn Tek LawnSite Senior Member
    from u s a

You mean there is a 78 Chevy pickup that you can not see through ? One word for 70's Chevy BONDO by the gallons .
    Buy and old Ford or Dodge

9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

We had a 73 Chevy and that was one of the best working trucks. That is one truck I wish was still around here.

10. The Dude

The Dude LawnSite Member

I run a 1979 Ford F100 with a 302. It does fine for what I need it to do.

feb23#03.jpg