Jim's Mowing.....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stvsloan, Mar 18, 2009.

1. stvsloan

stvsloan LawnSite Member

I'm concidering a Jim's mowing on Vancouver island. Is there anyone who has had experience with this franchise? I know most of you will say "do it on your own"...but is this franchise really a bad way to get into the business? If they have a system that works and makes the money they project....why not use it? I have yet to find someone who can explain the work quarrentee yet tho... Anyways...I need some help if there's any out there.
  2. Green Finger

Green Finger LawnSite Senior Member

If you have zero experience and want to get into the biz. That MIGHT be a way to go. Don't agree but MIGHT.

The reason you want to do it on your own it's called a franchise fee. you'll have to pay for all that equipment, plans, marketing literature, payroll, taxes and

You'll have to pay the company a franchise fee.

Look into it.
  3. stvsloan

stvsloan LawnSite Member

I HAVE looked into it. I am aware of how a franchise works and what their fees are. The fee right now is $450.00/mth. The way I see it...if I do all the advertising etc that i would have to do if I started on my own...I could easily spend that same amount of money. If they have a system in place that works...why not use it? If it's succesful...450 shouldn't be a issue.
  4. weeble67

weeble67 LawnSite Senior Member

I guess it's all a matter of what you want. Most people seek the personal satisfaction of saying I made what I have all on my own. I'm not bashing the franchise idea. Just saying I don't think I'd be as happy with what I have if I knew I was still under a company. But good luck in your endeavor.
  5. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

is there a clause that restricts you from going on your own in the future?
  6. stvsloan

stvsloan LawnSite Member

if i sell....i can't open up a similar business in my area. But like i said before...if it's successful...why would i want to?
  7. stvsloan

stvsloan LawnSite Member

I may be under a company...but the success of it will still depend on me and my efforts. It's the "jump start" that the franchise offers thats attractive right now.
  8. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

This could be a good way to get into the business but once you get going, wouldn't you want to get out on your own? If you are on your own, you don't have to pay that $450/month fee. That equats out to almost $5000/year. Personally I would rather have that $5000 in my pocket at the end of the year. It might be a good way to get started but once you get going you can't go out on your own.

My advise to you: start small on your own and build your company, don't go with those franchise companies.
  9. jg244888

jg244888 LawnSite Senior Member

i personally would feel like i would be working as an employee rather than a business owner and wouldint be satisfied and accomplished that i did it from the begining id feel that i was brought into a existing company. jmo
  10. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

I see no reason for a franchise. It's not the same as owning your "own" business. You already said it, you'd spend that much in advertising. My say is, then DO that and do it on your own, you'll be much better off it the end.