job bid help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by touhey33, Mar 4, 2005.

1. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I got a call for a bid on mowing for a residential customer, went to check it out today before i give the bid, and the entire lawn is covered in leaves from last fall. I'd say that the lawn is about 1/2 an acre, and i don't know if the leaves are wet. Couple of questions.
    1. How would you go about cleaning up these leaves (what do you think is the best way)?
    2. Do you think there will even be a lawn left underneath the leaves?
    3. How much would you charge to remove the leaves?

2. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

Tauhey33 i'd would cut the grass and push all the leaves to one side and make you a pile in one corner and pick it up by hand ,,,i do that all the time and it work great ,,,,i'd normal charge $40 buck just to mow half acre and charge extra if you have to trims and Blow....once you re-move all the leaves The grass will grow faster cause don't have leaves on top of the grass....the going rates in my areas for this job about $50 t0 $60 buck for the first time and charge $40 to $45 if the customer want you to keep there Lawn up all season ...Good Luck !! :waving:

3. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

Touhey,

If you do not have one already, I would purchase a bagger and bag the leaves. Bagging reduces the mass of the leaves and you can kill two birds with one stone, mow the lawn too. I would do a base price for the mowing plus your houly rate for the extra time.

4. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't have a bagger for my walkbehind, but i do for my push mower, however it would take a long time to bag all the leaves and dump them. I am suprised at how low you think i should charge for this, this house is in a wooded lot and it looks like theres maybe 2 inches of leaves covering the entire property. I thought i would charge 200 to 300 to remove the leaves and then arounnd 40 to cut grass (if there is any underneath the leaves).

5. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

What he said. :)
    I am assuming that your weather is about the same as ours. If you get the leaves up soon enough, there should be no more damage than if the turf was covered with snow. On another note, the leaves may keep the ground wet enough (depending on type and depth of leaves) that your machine will tear up the turf a bit so be prepared to fix any spots that are damaged. I've even had ice under the leaves, this late, in some cases. If you're not sure how wet the leaves are, take a rake and quickly hit a few spots, especially in shade areas. Then bid based on how much damage is likely.

6. Patrick.B

Patrick.B LawnSite Senior Member

WOW $200 to $300 to re-move the leaves ,and then charge 40 buck extra to cut the grass ,,,,,, damn ...where u from ? ...may have to go move there and make real money lol :blob3:

7. NCLawnMedic

NCLawnMedic LawnSite Member

I did not say what to charge 'cause I have no idea what your rates are. I do know that if you have a good amount of leaves to contend with and you are bagging, you will add a good amount of hours to the job. The hourly rate is up to you. As for the bagger, why not get one. There is a leaf season every year, and it is alot better than raking.

8. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Sounds right for up here if the conditions exist as he is stating them. Wet leaves, possible ice underneath. 2 inches.
    The mow sounds a little high, but maybe not. Maybe a lot of obstacles.

9. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

i'd go for it as a full spring clean up, blow out/rake the beds & around the house ect. get all the debris out on the turf & bag it, if you can't bag it, can you blow it out into woods or do you need to haul it all away? blow it until its windrolled and rake it onto tarps. best way is to get a bagger for your wb. you could mow one direction as was mentioned problem with that is its hard to clean up.
    275.00 depending on how it all needs to be done.

10. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

that one job could pay for the bagger on his wb.