Job bid

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by Fieldman12, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Fieldman12

Fieldman12 LawnSite Bronze Member

Got a call today about a someone needing some grading and top soil put down at a Duplex that had been for closed on by a bank. The new owners said they would take possession of the Duplex in a few weeks. Now Im going to take a look at the job tomorrow but wanted any idea what to charge. I did not want to be way to high but want to make it worth my while since it is a good hour from where I live. She said there is some clean up such as removing some tree limbs and some broken concrete. I assume she wants the concrete removed so I would have to hire someone with a dump truck to come get the concrete. She said it's about a guarter acre lot and the duplex sets on it. She told me the lot is pretty flat and that it was growed up to about waist high. I informed her all the vegetation would have to be removed before I could do a descent job. Now it's getting late in the year and it could snow or start raining every day at any time so this is one worry for me. I would assume that since it was built not long ago there is probably nails laying around here and there. Would I be too high if I asked $3,000.00 to clean it up? As for the top soil not sure what the price is on it right now and if she wants it put down now or spring. From what I got from here it just sounded like she just wanted to half way smooth it up and do the rest in the spring. Since this job would be split into two parts because of weather I was just wanting to give her a bid on what I would do this fall. The rest may be done by me or someone else in the spring. She also mentioned that her husband could help. I quickly informed her I had a helper (dad) that goes out with me on jobs. I assume she was trying to save some money by that comment. I was thinking a harley rake may make this job allot easier provided that I get the weeds/grass short enough it does not wrap up in the machine. It is too late to try to kill it off wit RoundUp. I could use Gramoxine but that would not be a good idea in the city.

2. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Here you would not be able too leave the lot in bare dirt for long.
    I would bushog the lot and clean the debris up until the spring.
    We use dumpsters here instead of Dumptrucks.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

agree...get a dumpster because if you hire a dumptruck you are paying all their time plus dump fees...a dumpster you are paying pretty much just for dump fees...we leave bare dirt all the time when we do winter work but we usually cover it with straw until the seed guys come in the spring

4. Fieldman12

How much does a dumpster usually cost and how long do they usually leave it before they charge you for it another time. I know price varies.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

X3 on the dumpster. They charge for disposal and a small drop off/pickup fee.

6. AWJ Services

from Ga

Here a 20 yard is 300, 30 yard 350 and they will leave them 2 weeks usually.
    If there is not much concrete I haul it to my house and or the dump myself.
    Same with the limbs and other debris.
    Also the good thing about the dubpster is you can take the skid and basically clan the whole lot too bare ground and dump as you go rather than stockpile it first then dump later.

7. Fieldman12

I had thought about getting a dumpster but thought it may be quicker with a dump truck if there was not too much to haul off. I have considered using my trailer to haul all concrete and so on away with. So they have no problems about me loading big pieces of concrete in a dumpster? Does the 300 or 350 price allow for pickup and disposal fee? I was thinking about allowing $1,000 dollars for the dumpster,fuel, and hopefully enough to rent a harley rake. That would not include my help fee. Thats kinda where I came up with the $3,000 dollar price.

8. AWJ Services

from Ga

Here they don't but each state has different disposal laws.
    Check with a dumpster company first.

9. Fieldman12

Well, I went and looked at the job today. I did a bunch of research the other day on the auditors site. I saw the layout of the lot and the dimensions. I also zoomed down on it from Satellite (google earth) and could see the low area in the back yard where it was designed to flow into a covert and away from the duplex in the subdvision. The lot was suppose to be 14,500 square feet but it did not look near that big in person. The duplex was around 2,600 square feet. The yard really did not have hardly any trash to pick up. What it did have was all the side walks and both concrete driveways put in to work around. Both the front right and left yard was both a good 1' higher than the concrete driveways. This obviously would have had to be hauled away in a dump truck and new top soil put on top. The dirt that was there was covered with vegitation, some big rocks, concrete, and a bunch of pea gravel. Between the two driveways was an area about 4' wide and the length of the drive that was a good foot taller that would have needed to be taken down by hand. I probably would have had to till it up with a tiller and then scoop it up into a wheel barrow. I really did not want to drive the skid steer on the new concrete and risk breaking or cracking it. I decided to turn the job down because it is just to late in the year, days are short, and it is going to be until the 19th before they will take possession of the land and lack of help. Another thing was the lot was only about 50' wide. Only way I could haul the dirt to the truck was to drive on the driveway or remove both mail boxes on each side of the driveways and load out on the road. Biggest reason Im turning it down was no room, to work and all the concrete. I have not yet purchased any type of excavating insurance for my skid steer. I do feel I could have done the job well but for now between no insurance and short on time i think it would be best to pass.

10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Everytime I do not listen to that little birdie in the back of my head that says "RUN!" on a job like that, I get spanked. Then I think, sheesh, why didn't I listen to myself? Sometimes ya just got to say No. And good for you for not doing it without insurance........that is when you are really set up to take a punch to the jaw.