Job Bidding Thread/Forum

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MidAtlantic, Feb 16, 2005.

1. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

With the popularity of this site increasing everyday, more and more home owners are surfing these posts researching ideas. How many of you guys think there should be a section where a homeowner can post a project he wants some local guys to bid on. Maybe even some of the lawn guys can post projects they want to sub out. It could even have a built in feature that automatically notifies the local guys when a new job is posted.

I think its a good idea...What do you guys thing? If Lawnsite see enough of a demand maybe they will make create this kind bidding thread/forum/section.

2. Artistic Blooms

Artistic Blooms LawnSite Member

I like it! Why not? There are always jobs to help each other out with. Currently I'm looking for someone to do my lawns...Anyone in the Fenton/Holly area interested?

3. richmadmax

richmadmax LawnSite Member

i think that sounds great.

4. mbella

mbella LawnSite Bronze Member

One problem I see with homeowners placing jobs for bid is the homeowner being bombarded with bids. Most lead services limit the number of contractors a single lead is exposed to. How would you do that on lawnsite?

There are pleanty of lead services that do just what you are describing. I don't see the need to mix that type of service with an open discussion forum like Lawnsite.

However, as far as offering subcontracting opportunities to each other, I like it. I believe it already happens. I know on Plowsite it does.

5. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Grrrrreat Idea !!!!
    :)

6. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

i dont like the idea...just like mbella said, he will get oo many leads and too many people knocking on his door. this will turn people against each other and create hostility.

7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

i don't like the idea either.
    my reason is different though.

first off the majority of people on this site are relatively new, or part timers. I don't think they would have a good hadnle on pricing. i mean, how many threads do we have from members asking about pricing.

second. i think it would be used as merely a price check for the local guy that has already given them a price.
    I think that there is no way for a homeowner to give enough of a description for us to accurately bid without ever seeing the job.

secondly this is a national site. jobs are area specific. For example, I have no clue how to price a job in heavy rocks/clay. and you guys have no clue how to prep for a job here that is pure beach sand. Look at people giving a blanket statement " add lime" .....

lastly
    i think the disagreements that would surely arise would not be good for the homeowner.

8. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

what he said.
    I do like the sub idea tho.

9. MidAtlantic

MidAtlantic LawnSite Member

I'm sure there are many ways they could make something work addressing a lot of your ideas...This is just an idea to help out some of you guys who are honestly looking to pursue work or for those guys looking to share the overflow. Why not take advantage of the opportunity while they are surfing through our posts?

Yes I know online a potential customer will get 100's of interested contractors but we all know that only 3 of them will show up to actually show up and do an estimate!!!!