Job I just proposed for a large commercial/residential developement

Discussion in 'Water Features' started by TRBIGCREEK, Mar 29, 2008.

TRBIGCREEK LawnSite Member

900 ft long stream/creek averaging 6 foot wide with about 35 falls and 3 header pools that are 15' by 15'. This feature will pump around 40,000 gph.

2. Macdiesiel

Macdiesiel LawnSite Member

Sounds like a fun and dream job,nice spring start,good luck with it, lets see some pics

We have a meeting in two weeks to discuss the final planning of this project. I anticipate starting by about the first of May. I plan on a daily log type progression posted here devoted to this project.

4. Lite4

Lite4 LawnSite Gold Member

40,000 gph seems quite a bit undersized for that big of a project with 35 waterfalls, unless you are planning on just a trickle over each one. I have 20,000 just between 3 core drilled boulders and a single bog filter in a small pond I am doing now. I don't know the lay of the land or how you are designing this one though. Some of our big commercial ones are usually pumping between 1,500 - 6,000 gallons per minute. Again, I don't know how big you are building these things though, you may have something totally different in mind than what we build for commercial projects.

We've got three options so far 800 gpm, 1000 gpm, and 1200 gpm these numbers are after head. When we meet in a couple of weeks the flow will be determined. Any of these will provide plenty of flow.

6. Venturewest

Venturewest LawnSite Senior Member

You are saying your 35 falls are cascades within that 900' stream right? Not 35 separate falls apart from the stream. That sounds like an awesome project.

Yes, within the 900 feet.

8. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

What is the final pond basin size?

1/2 acre about 8 ft deep.

10. Fishwhiz

Fishwhiz LawnSite Member
    from Oregon

so 800-1200 gallons per minute is in the ball park of 2 cubic feet per second which would give you a few inches of water over your weir crests, depending on how they are designed and how effficient they are. I am assuming your weir crests are averaging 6 feet wide as stated earlier. A pool/riffle structure would look a bit funny with that small amount of water, but step pools would look fine.

Now 6.000 gallons per minute is about 13 cubic feet per second. I've caught 8 pound steelhead in waterflows of that size. I hope that was for the power company since they are the only ones would could afford that power bill !