Job ideas to make it through winter

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by green-pa, Oct 5, 2007.

1. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

I was thinking about truck driving but I don't even know how to drive a truck (semi) yet? Is the training hard?

Other ideas:

Dish network installer

Paper routes

Car Sales

Open up a day care ( and see if I can get my gf to do most the work; hee hee)

Anything but waiting tables ( my old job)

Just wanted to know what u guys think about these and/or if u have any advice to offer about these. This is my first year in the biz and the IRS took what I had in checking and saved ( b&$std$) for back taxes ( not lawn care biz related ). I know ther eis fall cleanups, snow removal, and things, but it seems most of those are hit and miss and surely won't equal the $/week I'm making at this time which is what I need to keep the bills paid.

2. Daddy Joes Lawn Service

Daddy Joes Lawn Service LawnSite Member

Make enough during summer to hold me till it starts up again i just sit back and relax!:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

3. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

some of the things you posted it seems you can't do part time.

People don't want to have a babysitter for half a year, just like your customers would not want you to mow for only 3 months.

A car dealership is going to want a salesman to be committed 24/7 365 days a year. What happens when your repeat customers need you during lawn season to buy a car.

Same deal with just about anything but a wage slave job where you won't make much. I would just relax or get a wage slave job you don't mind doing. I am going to work at Staples part time in the winter, more for something to do. Its what I used to do full time, and I enjoy it.

4. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Actually, I almost forgot....

If you have a CDL you can deliver Heating Oil, propane, ect.. Some guys do that around where I'm from. Those companys have the same problem we do, most of their work is in the winter. I saw an ad in the paper the other day from a heating oil company that needed people from Nov. 1st through March 31st.

5. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Well from the jobs you mentioned, I saw two that might...might work. The paper route and the dish network installer. I've never done either job, but I have a cousin in TX that is a dish installer and makes bank at it. Lot of money in it, but not sure of the training or time commitment it takes to get to that point. The paper route would be more a like a small allowance, at least it would be around here. It doesnt pay all that well, but its "ok" money I guess.

6. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I thought about a dish network installer. The drawbacks are that you may have to be out of town for awhile. You will have to go under houses and trailer homes. You will have to get high up on ladders and work on steep roofs, risking life and limb.
    Home heating oil or propane can be frigid work with risk of being bitten by dogs
    Newspapers = 7 day work week where you tear up your auto for very little money
    Auto sales--I agree, not just a wintertime job. You have to load people up with more payments than they can afford. After you run out of friends and family to sell to then you have to race other sales people to customers that walk on the lot. Most people can sale a few cars and not sale what the volume they require.
    Retail--they work you to death then lay you off after Christmas
    Trucking--not good for married people. Local routes require 2 years of experience

7. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

I make lawn furniture during the winter and sell it, porch swings, aderondac chairs, picnic tables and such. sells mostly toward the end of the winter so the have it in the spring so it helps when the $$ start getting short at the end.
    Plus I have a small black berry farm that makes extra in July.

8. davis45

davis45 LawnSite Senior Member

Factories will hire for a temp. job. I build pallets in a warehouse during winter.

9. avjohnson

avjohnson LawnSite Member

I've worked for an inventory service. They are super busy in January, Feb and March but the hours can be sporadic.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

You could get a bunch of women pregnant and become a regular on the "Maury Povich" show episodes "Who be my baby daddy:confused: ":laugh:

Ps hint: Don't take the DNA test:rolleyes: :hammerhead:

j/k

Inventory would be good to pay some of your bills. Like he said the hours are sporadic. You may ride 50 miles to work 4 hours sometimes