1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Job or business?

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Accent01, May 24, 2010.

Keep job or not?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
  2. No

21 vote(s)
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
  4. Or tuff it out?

13 vote(s)
  1. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

Good info guys....I am in the same boat, I work a rotating 12 hour shift working weekends (which i dont mind) night and hoilidays including Christmas....been doing this for 12 yrs now...plus a ton of OT (last year I worked 800 hours of OT) I made 140K but the BS, time away from my family working nights and holidays and stress is getting to me. I would love to leave my fulltime job and run my biz fulltime. I have been setting myself up for a few years now by buying rental property to offset the slow periods in my lawn business and I also have a financial planner to help me with the transition, but I am still afraid to make the leap and getting out of my comfort zone
  2. lawncuttinfoo

lawncuttinfoo LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you saying you netted 140K or grossed 140K?
    So, say 40H work weeks (2880H/Y+ 800 OT (1200 pay hours) thatÂ’s 3280 pay hours = 42.68/H

It takes a extremely efficient small lawn business (<4 employees) or a big lawn business (forget mid size, 1/1000 chance to make it in the middle) to net that kind of money on a constant basis.

So you need to make a decision, do you want to make less but have a family or work more but for more hours?
    I choose family/sanity/vacation possibility.
  3. Big C

Big C LawnSite Bronze Member

The money is nice don't get me wrong.....but it can't buy back the hoilidays, birthdays and kids school & sporting events that I missed during the past 12 years. Not to mention the rotating shift work from nights to days and days to nights every 2-3 days.