1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

job outlook for landscaping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mrha18017, Nov 16, 2001.

1. mrha18017

mrha18017 LawnSite Member

I would like to try to start my own landscaping business and i need to do some research so i figured the best people to ask are the ones who own the businesses so my questions to all of you entreprenuers is what is the job outlook and or demand for this type of service
  2. CSRA Landscaping

CSRA Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

Welcome to Lawnsite. You'll find a wealth of information here. Most of it is already catalogued in previous threads, so you can find most of what you're looking for by using the search function. I will say that it depends on your area. You need to know what your market is like, meaning, the demand versus the supply. Start out with good, reliable, commercial equipment if you can afford it. Try to line up some accounts before you get started, and good luck!
  3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

to be honest ,if you were a landscaper u would know the answer.
    if you are talking just starting to mow lawns,everybody else
    is jumping in so one more wont make a difference.
    just ,how well u do depends, like everything else ,
    on you. i counted six lawn service trucks driving thru
    a very small town called locust,today. so u can imagine
    the competition is abundant.they really are everywhere u turn.
    dont mean to discourage u ,just the facts.later now ,i wish u well.
  4. Lanelle

Lanelle LawnSite Bronze Member

Which type of landscaping business are you interested in starting? Mowing and maintenance, installation of plant materials, hardscape installations, commercial customers, residential customers or public sector----there are lots of types of landscape businesses with increasing specialization especially in large metro areas. Please also look at your own skills, strong points and knowledge base. Determine what you are best at doing, like the best and can make money doing. Also, fitting into your local demographics is important. In my area a company can specialize in designing and installing oriental-inspired ponds and do very well but a smaller area may not afford enough demand for such a specialized, niche product. Let us know which direction you are considering.
  5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with Lanelle about knowing your stuff. I am sure every lawnsite member can tell horrior stories about landscape installs that never should of been put in. Sure they look great the day they are done. But look out two months or 2years later. That little leaf thing in the front is now 7' tall and those pretty flowers fell off two days later and have never bloomed since. Most home owners don't know plants and anyone with a good sales pitch can sell them a bill of goods.

The highest margin in the green Industry is in landscape installation. It is also the one that takes the most knowledge to do right. It is also the one area that has the most knowitalls that know nothing.

My .02 is this. If you have not worked in the industry then go to work for someone else and let them teach you, go to school and learn as much as you can. Work hard for the man and build yourself a good rep. Become his foreman then his super and then you are ready to go in bus. Did I say go to school and study. One more thing learn as much as you can. LOL