Job Pricing in your area?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by RockSet N' Grade, Apr 15, 2007.

1. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

I am just curious as to everyones "feel" about their markets right now. Are you getting your price? Same rates as last year? Are people shopping your rates more? What seems to be the general attitude in your area? We are getting busy, but the rates seem to be a tad bit more competative than last year.

2. fhdesign

fhdesign LawnSite Member

Here in the sw corner of Connecticut, a fairly affluent area, the market is very competitive. Lot's of new contractors price gouging and some established companies will feel the need to compete. However I'm not bidding on new work and will raise my prices a little this year.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

I've noticed for dirt work and landscaping customers are price shopping a lot more. I know landscape maintenance price shopping isn't as much of an issue, which is weird. My phone is ringing off the hook, I have too much landscape work to do. Been in business officially for a month and I allmost need a helper. I thought I might be a little too cheap, but my going rate for mowing is $60 an hour and I quoted $40 an hour to pull weeds the other day and was awarded that estimate. Money in bank!

4. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Your lucky to get 60 dollars per hour for mowing. People around here are only willing to pay 20 dollars per hour and you supply the mower. Glad I gave up mowing and lawns its not profitable enough and fighting to get paid. One of the landscaper charges 45 per hour for lawn mowing and people squeel like a pig.

As for the dirt work there are so many guys jumped on the excavating bandwagon there isn't enough work for them. I haven't heard of any undercutting yet but I don't know how many of them are going to survive. Even the guys that have been in the business for 30 years are finding it tough. They all have the same thing to say that its a constant stuggle trying to get paid and fighting with the customer to get money.

A economy running on realestate hype is bad news I'am glad I got a job that is going to stay the same for the next 30 years. I don't make a huge annual salary but atleast I will have a job. The gov't keeps telling the youth graduating from highschool to get into the building trades but in 3 years from now they will be unemployed. The baby boomer generation can't retire the cost of living in B.C. is skyrocketing so these guys will be working well past 65.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, we'll see how long the spring rush lasts. I have to go bid a 3 acre lawn tomorrow, don't really have the equipment for it right now, but I might have to call the old man and see if he'll pony up a little of the $8K he owes me.

I read in Lawn & Landscape magazine this month that this is the year to be starting out in the landscape maintenance business, at least in the US. Real estate has slowed down and people are finally settling into their new homes.

6. Gravel Rat

A 3 acre lawn :eek:

I would say you need a decent sized ride on lawn mower. Then the homeowner will hand you a pair of scissors and a tape measure and says I want every blade of grass 1 1/2 tall :laugh:

7. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

My local dealer has an '06 leftover Exmark Turf Tracer HP 48" with a 17 HP Kawi for $4500, which is the deal of the century! It's a walkbehind and not really big enough for a 3 acre lawn, but nobody runs ZTR's out here, the lawns aren't big enough. I'd be $8K in debt on a ZTR that I use on one lawn, the 48" walk I could probably get on a few of my lawns. Decisions, decisions...Going rate is about $60 an acre here with minimal trimming, $180 a cut is super nice.

8. Gravel Rat

You would have to buy a tractor with a pull behind mower to cut 3 acres of lawn. I don't have much experience with large lawn mowers because we don't have large lawns to cut.

9. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

Scag.....hire some of those waitresses and put them in bikini's on a riding lawnmower............... :)

10. fhdesign

fhdesign LawnSite Member

In my area there's a lot of people using riders, but for lawns that size I would only use walkbehinds. I use 52 hydros with velkes, with a sulky it makes it easy.