1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Job pricing.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by tazman7, May 7, 2007.

1. tazman7

tazman7 LawnSite Member

Just wondering what would be a good price to place 5 or 6 big rocks (200-300 lb each) along the edge of a property to keep cars from driving on a customers yard. I think the boulders are around $75 a ton...

the company that they have mow their grass quoted them $1800 for six 200lb rocks.... thats nuts
  2. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

It depends on the stone being used. Granite here in St. Louis is cheaper than sandstone and limestone. Most decorative stone is $200-$300 per ton around here give or take on different stone availability and regions it is mined. $75 a ton that sounds really cheap for a nice stone.
  3. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

I would disagree. If you yourself don't know how much it should be why would you say it is nuts.

3 people 1 day = 24 hours x 55 per hour = 1320

plus the machine cost of 250

plus the material at ?? 75 ??

My bill would be 1645
  4. Patatoe1

Patatoe1 LawnSite Member

I think tazman is asking about placing 5 or 6 boulders that weigh 200-300 a piece and he can purchase for $75 per ton.

Could be wrong though.:)

Hey tazman, where are you located?
  5. tazman7

tazman7 LawnSite Member

We are located in Rockford.
    If putting 5 boulders takes 3 people one day..you must work like city workers...this job shouldnt take longer then an hour once you are there.
  6. bishoplandscape

bishoplandscape LawnSite Member

hahahaha 3 people for 8 hours thats a good one :drinkup: :drinkup:
  7. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

I could place 5-6 at 200-300 each myself, picked up, delivered, placed in less than an hour (depending on location of course).

We pay $.08 per pound here (160/ton)=300*6=1800lbs*.08=$144.00
    Pickup in truck, yard loads, delivered to house= $100.00
    5 min a piece on a hand truck/dolly=5*6 (30 min) *hourly rate(55)=27.50

You could even rape the customer and make youself 2 hours worth, take your time. (2 hours*55)=110.00

So I am at 354 max for a short drive and some light lifting/rolling.

1800 is out of this world. 24 hours is even more outrageous. Patriot, what the he!! are you up to there in MA?
  8. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

If you can sell them on 1600, Ill fly out, rent a truck, get 'er done and send 100 bones your way. Ill even bring the rocks if they are too expensive there. Thatll give me a nice trip out to Ill.
  9. tazman7

tazman7 LawnSite Member

I ended up quoting it at $1200. I found a little nicer rocks that are colored to put in there and I went with a little heavier rock so the ignorant people next door to them dont roll them around and if they try pushing them with their cars it will do more damage ;)

They jumped on my price so I must have been cheaper then the rest...couple hours work and a few hundred in my pocket.
    thanks for your help.
  10. RockSet N' Grade

RockSet N' Grade LawnSite Silver Member

We set rock. Walls, landscape boulders, anything to do with larger rock materials. Our minimum is $1650 to set one load of rock.......labor and materials. For you chaps that think that is nuts, you obviously don't own excavators, dump trucks and the equipment to do this on a daily business. Yea, its expensive.....but so is the cost of keeping that yellow iron alive. Doing rock work can destroy a truck or skid or hoe in the blink of an eye. It seems to be a regional thing too.