Job Resume Help

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Ryan Lightning, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Im applying for a part time job for a Application Company, and just wrote a resume, and would like some feedback, If I left anything out, are if I should even take out the parts about me doing lawns for my self currently. Ive thought about a job with this company before, but didnt want to give up my lawns, and now there advertising for part time work, so this may work out good for me.

Target Job: A challenging part time job that will allow me to learn, and improve my knowledge and skills in the lawn care industry. While being able to services my lawn care accounts, and continuing my college education at night classes. Available full time, depending on potential salary, and hours.

Current Job: Self employed, working 15-20 hours a week doing full service Landscape Maintenance

Experience: Partnership in a Lawn Care business from April, 2000 till Aug, 2002.
    Running Lawn Care business since Sept, 2002 till present. Performing all duties required to, service and repair equipment, Meet with clients, figure and write bids, and all services that are performed in landscape maintenance.

Additional Skills: Can learn to operate equipment easily, ability to service and repair equipment, , can identify problems in a landscape, perform sprinkler repairs, some computer and typing skills, can get along with coworkers and customers.

Education: 36 units in Ornamental Horticulture from College of the Sequoias Classes include, Diseases of Ornamentals, Pests of Ornamentals, Plant ID #1, Plant ID #2, Basic OH, Landscape Maintenance, Sprinkler Design, Landscape design, Work Experience, Current Night classes include Arboriculture, and Landscape Drafting.

Personal:
    Born: 11-04-77 in Visalia, CA
    Marital Status: single
    Interests: gardening, school, fishing, customizing model cars

References available upon request

2. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

i would further highlight people skills if this job requires being with people on a heavy basis, i would definetly conder excellent people skills a plus if i were to be hiring people:)

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Here is a revised edition. (Note the first sentence, you had a part of a sentence improperly connected.)

Target Job: A challenging part time job that will allow me to learn, and improve my knowledge and skills in the lawn care industry while being able to service my lawn care accounts, and continue my college education. at night classes. Available full time, depending on potential salary, and hours.

OR: You could say
    Target Job: A challenging part time job that will allow me to learn, and improve my knowledge and skills in the lawn care industry while being able to continue my college education. (Leave out your lawn care accounts - it makes you sound like you are more interested in benefitting yourself than the potential employer. Also, say "night classes" is a bit redundant. This is something that can be discussed at the interview. - keep it simple.) Also, leave out the "depending on potential salary and hours". You bargain later. Don't act to them like you don't really care to get this job.
    Here is what MINE says:
    OBJECTIVE
    A responsible and challenging position that will utilize my education and background, expand my knowledge, and offer opportunities for professional growth.

(Sometimes less is more.)

Current Job: Self employed, working 15-20 hours a week doing full service Landscape Maintenance

Experience: Partnership in a Lawn Care business from April, 2000 till Aug, 2002.
    Running Lawn Care business since Sept, 2002 till present. Performing all duties required to, service and repair equipment, Meet with clients, figure and write bids, and all services that are performed in landscape maintenance.

Are you still in a partnership? I would just say owner. At this point, the partner is irrelevant.
    Mine says:
    Contract landscaping services for businesses, municipalities, and homeowners.
    Responsibilities include: Interviewing/testing/hiring/training of service representatives. Overall supervision of operations and equipment maintenance, customer relations, and quality control.

Additional Skills: Can learn to operate equipment easily, ability to service and repair equipment, , can identify problems in a landscape, perform sprinkler repairs, some computer and typing skills, can get along with coworkers and customers.

Ooh! You can "get along" with customers, too! It great to know you don't fight with them! :D

This sounds good, (other than the "get along" deal)
    Try this:

Solid leadership capabilities.

Ability to maintain and manage business operations.

Strong time management and interpersonal skills.

Willing to take on new challenges within demanding deadlines utilizing progressive, results oriented performance style.

Capable of working in a variety of arenas requiring creative, innovative thinking.

Proven ability in working with customers on a service oriented basis.

Excellent communication skills.

Self-motivated, adaptable, loyal team player.

Impeccable work ethic.

Possess proficient writing skills.

Computer oriented, with ability to quickly learn additional programs and operations.

Other than the generic "work experience" - too vague), most of your other stuff looks pretty good. I would also like to say that your education looks rather impressive. Nice work!

Education: 36 units in Ornamental Horticulture from College of the Sequoias Classes include, Diseases of Ornamentals, Pests of Ornamentals, Plant ID #1, Plant ID #2, Basic OH, Landscape Maintenance, Sprinkler Design, Landscape design, Work Experience, Current Night classes include Arboriculture, and Landscape Drafting.

Personal:
    Born: 11-04-77 in Visalia, CA
    Marital Status: single
    Interests: gardening, school, fishing, customizing model cars

I certainly hope this helps. I'm not telling you have to use all or any of this, I just thought I'd offer it for you. You can use some or all if you wish. Good luck with it!

;)

4. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

Runner you went all out on that post. I like it. Just write that and you should be set.

5. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

dont forget your cover letter. I took a class in college about resume writing. When you are setting it up, put the headlines on the left side in bold and then tab and put in your info. For instance in computer skills, use the bullets to seperate them to make them more presentable. Good Luck!

6. Daleman

Daleman LawnSite Member

RUNNER, I love your version. Were you an english teacher in a past life?

SIMA MEMBER

7. Ryan Lightning

Ryan Lightning LawnSite Senior Member
    from CA

Thanks alot Runner, thats what I was looking for, and I think Ill use all your revisions!