Job site cargo trailers...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Red Shed Landscaping, Jun 13, 2013.

1. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Here is our trailer on site from our last pool project. Look how shiny that 121 is! lol Just took delivery of it that day and I was snapping a picture before it got coated in mud. I'll try to find an inside pic of it.

049.jpg

2. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

This would work well if you only run one crew..

3. cjohn2000

cjohn2000 LawnSite Senior Member

Funny I was thinking about this the other day. I worked for a company where we had a e350 van, now I work for a company where I have a Ranger. Two of the biggest advantages for me having an enclosed trailer would be keeping things dry (Pacific Northwest) and keeping things secure. How many times have you had to run to the hardware store down the road for one misc. thing and had to shuffle a bunch of stuff from the back of the truck to the cab? Whoever is driving has to know how to handle the trailer with a vehicle. Seems common sense until my boss moved a guy onto our install crew and he had a c4500 kodiak and out big dump trailer and just driving to the job he backed into someone and sideswiped a contractor's truck. Also depends on the work, we seem to always play 'shuffle the tools' in the morning between our 250, kodiaks, dump trailer and landscape trailer. Gotta have a vehicle to tow it around. Seems like common sense but sometimes the trailer get dropped off at the jobsite and then you bring the Ranger out to the job to save gas and forget its there or scheduling changes. Just my two cents

4. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

If you have an enclosed, why would you drag it away to and from?
    Lock the door, wheels and hitch,and have your stuff there.

I can't afford an enc. trailer, so I just run a chain through all the handles and bases with a couple locks on it around the corner out of sight.

5. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

You can do anything you want, despite what the other Andrew (zedo) says. I'm even ok with you taking your kid to work.

Does the customer's property have enough space to leave a trailer? If its a 1/4 acre property, would it be ok sitting in the street along the curb for the duration of the job?

During the recession we had a few jobs where they were on properties with multiples acres and we left the dump truck there to conserve fuel consumption.

"Ranger"? Unless you're Job Is meeting with clients and estimating, or a manager, the Hardscape industry hasn't much use for a ranger. My company vehicle is a S-10

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  6. DVS Hardscaper

And neither can most of the guys that have them :)

Posted via Mobile Device

7. Agape

Agape LawnSite Bronze Member

I do need a place to poo sometimes:rolleyes:

$3800 + wrap is expensive porta potty/ billboard

8. DVS Hardscaper

Many guy that venture into hardscapes are former residential lawn cutters.

So they go from having to mow 60 lawns in a week to bring home $2000.00 to selling $11k patios that are completed in 6 days.

They think money grows on trees.

The key to business is to spend as little possible. To make a profit. Not work for the banks.

If you are able to buy an enclosed trailer without borrowing the money - then it's probably not a bad move.

But if you need to get a loan or borrow from your home equity - then you're making a big mistake. Going into debt over something that you absolutely can function just fine without.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Throw the shovels and rakes in the bucket of the skid. Put the wheel barrow over the packer. Saw and bag of hand tools in the back of the truck and let's take it to the house. Keep it simple
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

Exactly!
    Posted via Mobile Device