Job site cargo trailers...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Red Shed Landscaping, Jun 13, 2013.

1. italianstallion69

italianstallion69 LawnSite Member

box trucks can be had for 4grand+ tires at uhaul. 17' and the a/c even works...

2. sven1277

sven1277 LawnSite Senior Member

Just like everything else, it depends on the business. For us, a trailer makes sense. Its smaller, a 6x12' and is carefully packed. When we head out for a new project, just hook the trailer and go. We used to spend an hour the morning of a new job loading all the tools into the back of a truck, hoping nothing was forgotten. I like it and I'm really happy with the purchase.

2011-03-28_18-15-51_29.jpg

2011-03-28_18-16-09_432.jpg

2011-03-28_18-16-25_747.jpg

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, spend in hr in the morning for the first day of the job. Sounds like a long time, I think that's what it takes me when I load by myself. But 2-3 guys should be 20 minutes. It should not be a daily routine, unless its an unsecure site.

And you're washing that time out by putting everything back into the trailer each day, and taking it out each morning.

A 6x12 isn't much money, you can get a used for for under $2,000.00. Problem is - the tongues on the 6x12 are usually very short, fine for a pick up but making it hard to make tight turns, and not the most practical for a dump truck because the dump usually protrudes out past the hitch on the truck.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  4. Red Shed Landscaping

Red Shed Landscaping LawnSite Member

One of the reasons I would think about getting one would be that everything would be in one place. I don't always have enough room in the back of the truck bed for all the stuff we use since we do a wide variety of services.

I would like to be able to have all the necessary tools along with the seldom used tools for just in case and don't always have to run back. Also having the little extras that tend to get over looked like tile connectors, parts to repair lighting, carry extra hoses or electric cords, keeping poly sand and grass seed dry.

I know with this terrible spring weather-wise, I won't be able to afford one for a while. We probably have only worked one month out of the last 3. I guess it will give me more time to think about it.

5. mybigdog

mybigdog LawnSite Member

For larger jobs tools are placed in wheelbarrows wheeled into the trailer at the end of the day and out in the beginning. doesn't take long to wheel a barrow to a trailer.

When you think of all of the tools needed for one basic install job I see no better way than some sort of tool transport. Hand tools, wheelbarrows, saws, fabric, polysand, brick edging, tamps both hand and power, gas, spikes, poly sand, extension cords, grass seed, 2, 4 and 6 foot levels, squares, glue, glue gun, screed pipes to name a few. Plus having random things like irrigation pipe and couplers for the unintended brakes, and mechanics tools for quick repairs saves me time and money.

First tool transporter was a 3/4 ton van with a hitch. A little small but set up with a dump trailer (don't have one) it may have worked well but I found I needed a dump truck on site along with the van and it didn't always work out.

I agree dumping 5 to 7 k on a trailer is expensive. I waited for a good used one cost me 3,200.00

6. Drakeslayer

Drakeslayer LawnSite Member

Finally someone who gets it.

7. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I've been saying this from the start!! At the moment we have two crews each with a cargo trailer, it's faster, cleaner and more professional and until you own one, I say don't knock it til you try it. There is always excuses why it's a waste of time and money, but you only here that from the guys that don't have one.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

Thats still a total of one man hour. I did the math and for me(small 1,2,3 day jobs where I'm packing up every night) i had to have tool transport on board. I think truck boxes are largely the best option for my scenario. Still can tow and dump unrestricted
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. FLCthes4:11-12

FLCthes4:11-12 LawnSite Senior Member

Posted via Mobile Device

10. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Most jobs happen over time.

You DO NOT NEED all your tools and materials there at once.

You pack light. Christ, if you get in an accident you'll have tools strewn All over the road. Always pack light, taking only what needed.

No seed needed till the last day. No poky sand needed till the end.

When you're done with a certain tool and not needed anymore - it comes off the site. And is out of the way.

Work smart, not hard, life really isn't difficult :)
    Posted via Mobile Device