Job we just completed...

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by AJ Lawnscapes, Oct 24, 2007.

1. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Here are the pics:

Working 4 hours a day on it, it took 4 weeks with 2 guys, and a third on the last week to play clean up with us.

Go ahead, give it to me!

It's not the best, but I did get paid, they are happy.

2. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK, first why only 4 hours a day? Second, not a fan of the bed edging. Although it is better than having the river rock against the lawn. Someone will say they dont like the river rock, but I think it OK in small quantities. OK are you ready for the big one? It looks like you installed the block on stone dust and swept with play sand. I see all the QP, but it doesnt look deep enough or even compacted. And of course you have to show a pic of the filter fabric under the base if you mean business, but I bet its not there.
  3. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

just wondering what you charged for the patio if you don't mind sharing?
  4. neversatisfiedj

neversatisfiedj LawnSite Bronze Member

Ohh man here we go again. I see CgLand weighing in on this one. :hammerhead:
  5. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

Enthusiastically awaiting a witty statement by the great CG.............. :)
  6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

7. tthomass

tthomass LawnSite Gold Member
    from N. VA

What do ya'll do mostly? Mowing? I am assuming that is why only 4hrs a day. For the plants, go to a book store and buy a few books with lots of pictures and learn better arrangments. Look up ICPI and take a course this fall/ will cost about $250 but be worth many thousands to you. And buy a STIHL 400 cut saw, string, chaulk, hand tamp, rubber mallet etc. A 3/4 ton truck and 10k lb dump trailer would help with material. Then tackle a job this spring with better prepared with real knowledge, better design, better material.......all around better. Get yourself learned.

The hardscape tradeshow you replied to is a good opportunity for you.
  8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

hope you are ready for some criticisms,

the curved areas where the two soldier courses meet, if for me the worst thing about the project. Not a very good transition between into a curve.
  9. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

You should have left the corner square, or used the soldier course as the curve. Look up pics on the site or in the catalogs of the suppliers to see how you should have done the border. I've seen ALOT of jobs way worse than this, I won't comment on the base I'll let you say how much you used since I can't tell from pics. I think the stone dust/ concrete sand bedding layer debate will never really end so I won't knock you on that either(I always use concrete sand though.)
  10. AJ Lawnscapes

AJ Lawnscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks all.

4 hrs a day due to working full-time still. I did use filter fabric bought from the EP Henry distributor that I purchased the block from. I used #2b Modified for the base, stone dust instead of sand, and a mixture of paver sand and play sand because the joints needed a fine sand to fill in with because I kept them tight together with no real spacing.

I do have all those tools except the STIHL and 10K dump.

My partner and I are preparing to take the ICPI course in November, and I am planning to attend the trade show this spring.

They insisted on the edging being the same EP stone, they did not want a raised edge as their HOA LCO does not trim. Jodili75

The Ocean Stone was not my choice, nor were the plants, they picked and bought all the shrubbery/plants.

Mostly? I don't really know. Originally we were gonna do lawn mowing, but more and more landscaping jobs fell into our hands, and I couldn't pass them up. I have 2 lawns that I mow, and it's been a month since I did because the grass isn't growing. I honestly have gotten next to no mowing calls at all this summer.

I am enjoying landscaping. Hardscaping is fun, and I really enjoy it but I need more knowledge and experience with it. This is only my second one.

Thanks for your comments.

My price, well, I mis-quoted from my contractors book, and they agreed to it, but also said I was more expensive than the other contactors, but went with me because I was fair with the labor and other materials cost.