Job We Just Completed

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mike33, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

This job was a complete makeover. This is a new home GC just threw down some rye on clay . We started by removing all sod and adding 60 ton of top soil, hydro-seeding. Excavted to left of driveway around 20' allowing more parking installing crusher run. Bulit 2 walls with steps then first wall, steps and ped. to front door. Rear wall steps with sidewalk to deck steps. I had to put a 2" slope to sidewalk to match deck steps. Rear yard we scraped and placed 200 ton of fill from neighbors yard graded and seeded. turned out to be a nice job, H/O was great to work with and is going to do his own planting.
    Mike

S4200091.jpg

S4200092.jpg

S4200093.jpg

S4200094.jpg

S4200095.jpg

2. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

3. Mike33

2 walls 1 in front yard and 1 in back yard. Black top will go even with first step later. Or base will be pulled back depending on what h/o wants. Pics dont show but there is fall from both walls out in to drive way.
    Mike

4. Hardscaping

Hardscaping LawnSite Senior Member

stairs stacked directly on top of each other?

Looks good though.

5. Mike33

Pedistal method, a ton of buried block.
    Mike

6. Hardscaping

so you used the double block then a standar and then a coping for this method then stacked back from there on the stairs fromt he bottom layer.

7. Mike33

Okey, 1 wall had 7 steps. I went back in on base course 7 block deep 3 block wide. Set cap on # 1 block for first step, set secnd course the whole way back and so on. Other words 7th step had 21 blocks, 6th had 18, 5th-15, 4th -12, 3rd-9, 2nd -6, first step 3 block. Total of 84 block plus blck in head walls. No stepping back in to bank, excavted area around 10' deep x 6' wide.
    Mike

8. Hardscaping

that is a really good setup. expensive way of doing it but more effective then other ways.

9. Mike33

Yes figure 84 block @ 7.45 = 626.00 + 21 caps = 137.00 = 763.00 material + 1 day of labor. I have been using Cornerstone that has a locking lug on bottom side, on the pedistal we knock off the lug and some on the head walls giving zero batter = NO Cuts. I hate building steps time and expensive but i dont know a better way. BTW what do you think a concrete guy would of charged for these steps?
    Mike

10. Hardscaping

one question though on the bottom blocks the ones buried did you split the blocks then?