Job.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, Feb 6, 2008.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a job we completed a couple months back, just ran across the pics now.

The walkway is crushed stone, which will probably be pavers this season. Also

Also this picture was pre-sod.. I never did go back and get a final picture

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. waltero

waltero LawnSite Member

Funky!!!

I not sold on the raised patio, it looks a little out of place there. I think something a little simpler would look better. It doesn't look like a very large patio which means that you are never very far from an edge, especially if they put furniture on that.

If you wanted the patio higher it can be done just as well with building up the base, I would try to add something like an arbor to that yard, a nice walkway and maybe some large natural stone.

3. jbailey52

They sound like great ideas.. we did notice when it was complete that when you were on it, it did feel strange, I think even the fence being higher, or some more mature evergreens would make it work better. Over all thought I was happy with it.

4. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Its a shame you went to all that trouble and couldnt lay the pavers straight....or we all past caring.
    and ...why raise it ...total waste of coin (big time) and only asking for trouble.

5. jbailey52

If your talking about the bond lines in the 7th pic.. Im not sure what up with that I guess just a camera issue because they were run of a string line and are all straight

6. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

If its the camera throw it against a wall. You can tell the bond lines are not straight because you have gaps in between you pavers as you go farther away from the viewpoint. Easiest way to stay straight is snap a chalk line in your sand, make sure you 90 it to make sure its straight to your other lines.

7. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

In the sixth pic every bond line in the wall seems to line up.

8. kootoomootoo

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

Raising a patio makes at least the first 18inches if not the first 24 inches of the edge useless it is uncomfortable to stand near and you can't have a chair near it.

The overall appearance is not terrible hopefully you can learn new things from this. You might want to consult a designer for future raised patios. There really is no reason that it should have been raised.

10. kootoomootoo

Thats what i don't get about guys on these sites. Swallow your pride and ask a few vets b4 you start how you should do it and why. NOT go do it anyway, screw it up, preach the customer is happy.....until they cant sell house 2 years later because of the abomination in the yard formerly known as a paver patio. Oh and also wreckign the market for paver patios because the divide between concrete installers and paver installers is huge with regard to average workmanship