1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deer 21" Commercial mower... Anyone use this???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jlawnmow, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Jlawnmow

Jlawnmow LawnSite Member

I know John Deer came out with a 21" commercial mower last year and I'm thinking about getting a few of them this summer. I was wanting to know though if any of you have used this mower and if so what are your thoughts? Thanks!

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

You will have to change your plans. JD has canned the production of commercail 21" mowers. They are no longer available. If you are determined to buy one, or more, you might be able to have your dealer do a search to see if other dealers have any leftovers.

3. Jimslawncareservice

Jimslawncareservice LawnSite Platinum Member
    from mn

Last summer i went to buy one. Dealer said there was a lot of problems with them, and he wasn't convinced that they were worth the money. Looked at Deeres residential 21 when I was there, then called my exmark dealer. I got a great deal on an x series 21 and a new echo 770 h blower. Never regretted it. I think deere could make a good 21 in house instead of subbing it out, and also if they didn't need such huge profit margins on thier smaller landscape/ mower item stuff.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

John Deere is now contracted with Honda for their small equipment. Deere dealers will be stocking Honda mowers, power washers, snowblowers, etc., instead of the John Deere branded ones.

It is news to me that Deere has stopped production of the commercial 21" models. I was just thinking about a new 21" the other day. My John Deere sz14 21" is from 1994 so I know that when it does go, it shouldn't really be a surprise since it has been used regularly since new. I really liked the features on the new commercial 21" models from Deere and was curious as to weather or not they would still produce them after the contract with Honda.

I would bet that if you wanted a 21" commercial from JD, your dealer could find you one. They seemed to have their fair share of problems. I hadn't heard too much about them, but the problems didn't seem to be significant, just seemed like a lot of little things (like problems with the wheels).

5. burnsyscapes

burnsyscapes LawnSite Member

yes deere is now with honda for their small equipment, but, they will still be making js26 36 mowers for lowes, home depot and other department stores, as far as commercial they are with honda, just like how they canned their wee eaters and such and came on with stihl.

6. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

that's cool with me. when the time comes i'll buy a honda commercial mower if needed. they are the best anyways. noone around me sells honda commercial mowers so if deere starts i'll have somewhere to buy one. home depot doesn't sell the commercial ones.

7. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

not suprized to hear its gone allready. wasnt a good value for the $. just a eastman painted green. jd needs to bring back the jx85

8. scotts lawn care

scotts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member

My paperwork is with my cpa, so i dont know the model #. I bought the home owners 21" J.D. last spring from my dealer. I like it. I only use it on the crazy steep hills on a couple lake properties, so it should last quite a few years for us. I can use my ztraks on the not so steep properties if im careful.

9. yardsmart

yardsmart LawnSite Member

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Briggs had deere's contract on the 21" mowers. Good little mowers, although they are $100 more than the other brands that have the same mower.
    Posted via Mobile Device