1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deer Transmision

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by caseymax, Mar 14, 2008.

1. caseymax

caseymax LawnSite Member

Hay I got a John deer lawn tractor STX38 5 speed. One forward gear left the rest are gone. Is it worth getting a another transmission (or transaxel) which ever it is? Can I get a used one or repair this one? The mower is in good shape except it only goes one speed. :confused:

Thanks MAX......
    Monrovia In
  2. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody is probably operating a lawn mower boneyard in your area, and some dealers will sell used parts. Also check out eBay as a lot of used parts are offered there -- search eBay stores as well as individual sellers.

Only you know how much money and labor you want to put into it.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the shift keys broke being a Peerless transaxle, Possibly less than $20 for new key's if you perform the labor yourself....
  4. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah, shift keys usually break when a customer shifts before coming to a stop. Then they get stuck in only one gear, leaving just one speed to mow in.

You can do this yourself - Clear a large bench area, clean EVERYTHING as it comes out of the cases, and lay itall out "in line" so you don't mess it up putting it back together. There are a lot of parts, so take your time. And don't lose the detent spring and ball in one half of the case (causes those "bumps" when you shift, and holds the lever in place).

Scoop all the old grease out of the cases ad clean them, too. Get new grease from a dealer. DO NOT USE LITHIUM OR WHEEL BEARING GREASE. It will not stand up to the heat and pressure.

In my area, that tractor was only about $2000.00 when brand new. Putting a new transmission in that thing wouldn't be worth it for me.