John Deer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by F Y P M, Apr 16, 2008.

1. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

I was Thinking of buying a john deer 840 Z liquid cooled has anybody owned one? I currently run Toro's 1 liquid and one air cooled. Wondering about the 7 gauge deck against Turbo force, Mine are both sfs decks and I prefer them to the turbo force. Any opinions?

2. Paulup

Paulup LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 717A, the 7-Iron II deck is amazing. I've cut nasty Louisiana swamp crap with it, and never a problem. No idea how that particular model operates, but JD makes a nice machine. My only gripe is no suspension on the 717(or all of their models).

3. F Y P M

F Y P M LawnSite Member

Well I'm assuming that the 7 deck is the same on all models. I want the liquid cooled for longevity as I will run my Z's for 8-10 years and still sell them for reasonable money. My liquid cooled toro has 6500 hrs on it and still runs awsome but the deck is getting shabby.Really wanted to know how the 7 deck will perform as I bag 90% of my lawns. So far so good and thanks for your input.

4. Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs.

Green Thumb Mowing Srvcs. LawnSite Member

Just bought the z new out this year, had it two days and took it back, no power! JD tells me that they are coming out of the factory with the RPMS about 800 to low. Then with the high lifts that come standard knocks it down another 200. Dang thing would stall on a medium slope.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

You have 6,500 hours on your Toro and your thinking about getting a different brand? I have nothing against John Deere but it sounds like Toro is treating you very well. The 800 series hasn't been out long enough to get any long term feedback. I would hold off a while. You've been holding off for 6,500 hrs so whats a few more going to hurt. The 7 iron is excellent but the Toro Turbo Force is no slouch either. I'm impressed with those hours, did you re power or did the engine last that long? Kawasaki?

6. Jalab2

Jalab2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Green Thumb what model JD did you take back i have a z810a that im taking back for the same reason. i will be replacing that model with an 820 also i have an 840 on order. but now im second guessing my decision.

7. no1sportz

no1sportz LawnSite Member

Hey guys! Brand new here but have experience with the 757s. I too just bought one of the new 800 series. I purchased the smaller Z810A for my personal lawn. I bought it yesterday and took it back today! I used it for 10 minutes and was completely disgusted with it. It too kept stalling on a mild slope...and I was barely cutting any grass. John Deere has a problem on their hands for sure. I tested the 820A model and had the same problem.

8. Jalab2

Jalab2 LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

no1sportz was the 820a just as bad, and what size deck did the 820 have that you tested. oh boy i dont know what to do. im picking up an 820 and an 840 next week that i have ordered.

has anyone tried the 840a with a 60inch deck or a 830a with a 54 inch deck i wonder if there are any problems with those machines.

9. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 757 and 797 bpth 60 " and yes the RPMs are low when you get them but just move the throttle a quarter inch at the carb and you will have plenty of power

10. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

I've noticed something very similar with my 820... I was thinking it may have just needed some break in time, but it appears it may not get any better. I've had it almost stall just trying to start the blades... Looks like I'll be calling my dealer tomorrow...