John Deere 111 Repower

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Smalltimer1, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

As many of you know I am a John Deere guru--and I know the related Briggs and Kohler engines for them like the back of my hand as such.

However, I have come across a John Deere 111 lawn tractor with a Briggs 11hp model 252707 with a busted rod and I can pick it up for real cheap and I am toying around with the idea of dropping a Honda GXV340 11hp OHV engine (new) in place of the busted flathead Briggs. I have looked through the Kohler options and they do not offer something in that size with electric start.

I have nothing against the Briggs, I just want to make the already solid model 111 even better with a more fuel efficient engine as well as possibly gain some value if I ever need to sell it off. I am also thinking about the Kohler CV-13 as a possibility, but I know the 111 situation depends on where the gas tank is located as the early ones had them under the hood, and the later ones had them under the seat.

I have already asked over on the JD boards, but I would like some other opinions as well--especially from those with Honda and non-JD Kohler knowledge.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

When you talk of the fuel tank location are you referring to supplying the replacement engine with fuel ? I feel the Honda would be unbeatable on that old work horse. The link below has a GXV340 with the fuel tank mounted and it is a nice close fit which may be a plus if you have the clearence.
    http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=GXV340DE33

3. Smalltimer1

I agree--I think that it would be good for another 20 years with the Honda.

The fuel tank on the first years of production is located on the pedestal in front of the control panel under the hood, while on later models, it was relocated to under the rear fenders.

I'm trying to determine if the Honda would fit using the stock JD tank in its original location. The other thing is if it would clear the hood on it.

I am going to go look at it tomorrow night and probably going to get it, because it has the chrome hub caps (which can be sold off themselves to cover the cost of the machine as it sits).

I plan to go and see if its worth his price (starting bid), then I will offer to Paypal him the agreed upon price--which I think I can get it for well below the starting bid.

Here's a pic of it as it sits.

JD 111-1.JPG

4. Restrorob

If I remember correctly my Honda Service Manual has dimensional drawings in the front with measurements (length, width, Height ect.) I'll check it out tomorrow and get back with ya.
    Good luck looking

5. Smalltimer1

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated. :waving:

Are the mounting bolts on the Honda the same as the Briggs?

6. Restrorob

I want to say yes, I have seen a couple older Snapper Rear engine riders and a crapsman that were changed over to the Honda without redrilling, But if I can come up with the drawing the bolt pattern will be on it also.

7. Smalltimer1

I was going to add that I was using the specs provided by Small Engine Warehouse as well--they seem to have the best deals on these engines. Northern Tool was $60 more.

8. Restrorob

I have to agree, I havn't found a cheaper place to pick up engines either.
    Oh, Look what I found ! http://www.honda-engines.com/gxv340.htm#
    It doesn't show the bolt pattern so I'll check into that, If I have to I can call our supplier just to make sure.

9. Restrorob

Sorry Smalltimer, But I struck out on the bolt measurements, The manual showed the foot print but only hole and thread sizes so I called my supplier and he couldn't tell me either so he faxed me a dimension page also but it wasn't on there either. I checked up stairs at work and found a GV200 that had the same pattern but no 340. All I can say again is I believe it would bolt on but if it didn't well I don't think it would be too hard to drill some holes.
    Again Sorry

10. Tekumcman

Tekumcman LawnSite Member

Where/what to do with a "fuel pump" will present a challenge for
    you, especially so, if you replace the 11HP Brand B with Brand H ?
    I'm assuming, of course, this 111 has the tank UNDER THE SEAT,
    and thus, would have need of a pump vs. a gravity fed carburetor.
    My experience is....changing from this original engine requires (usually)
    a great deal of "modification" and change in order to make it work.
    But...as they say...."Where there's a will....". GOOD LUCK and thanks
    for allowing me to post.

T-Man