john deere 14 sb transmission

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by leogod, May 19, 2004.

1. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

Has anyone ever replaced the transmission on a john deere 14 sb walk behind mower? How involved is it and what are the steps? I have an old 14 sb that I can salvage the transmission off of. Thanks for your help.

2. BZB_Helpers

BZB_Helpers LawnSite Member

what exactly do you want to do with it, remove it as a whole or rebuild it? i replaced the axle in my 14sb trans.
    to remove as a whole: remove the pulley and belt, disconnect the shifter cable and clutch cable, remove wheels, remove the 2 bolts that hold the height adjustment to the deck and drop the trans.

3. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

So are you just using it as a push mower now or did you replace the transmission with a new one? I was thinking of trying to rebuild the transmission, but I'm not sure if that is woth it. Brecksville... I am originally from Avon Lake.

4. BZB_Helpers

i rebuilt the transmission myself, mainly replacing the axle. the PO forgot to lube the axle bushing so the bushings wore out, then the axle was turning on steel instead of the bushings and the axle wore grooves in it.
    for a new trans around here is $150, i replaced the axle for $50

5. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

I'm a novice here so forgive my inexperience. The problem with my current transmission is the drive gear does not engage. The belts and pulleys engage with no problem and the gears on the wheels look great. when I manually spin the drive gear the wheels turn. What do you suggest?

6. BZB_Helpers

try this: w/o the engine running, engage the drive and pull the mower backwards, if both wheels dont lock up then the clutch in the trans doesnt work
    if one wheel locks up then the key in the metal pinion gear is damaged

7. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

ok, the key in the metal pinion gear is damaged. the right back wheel will not back up. the left wheel moves freely. what do i do?

8. BZB_Helpers

so the right wheel locks up and the left doesnt, right.
    take off the left wheel and turn the pinion gear, one way it should lock and rotate the axle and the other way it should not rotate the axle and you will hear clicking noises.
    if it doesnt do that i would take off the gear by removing the snap ring, you have to rotate the gear so the key gets pushed into its slot so you can pull the gear off.
    check to see if the key is damaged.
    when you put the pinion gear back together, it has two different sides, one smooth and one recessed, the smooth side always towards the right.

9. leogod

leogod LawnSite Member
    from chicago

When I turn the pinion clockwise it rotates the axle when I rotate it counter clockwise it clicks. So maybe its not the gear???
    With the mower running, when I engage the transmission the pinion gear does not spin, but the belt and pulleys do??? What do you think?

10. BZB_Helpers

do the same pinion gear test on the other side, i believe it should do the same thing. when you move the mower forward both pinion gears should click.
    how is your clutch cable adjusted? if its not right then the pulley will turn but the mower wont move. yours might be a little loose.
    i really dont think you have any major problems cause you were able to lock up the right wheel so the clutch works but when you rotated the left pinion gear by hand it passed b/c it clicks one way and turns the axle the other way. i think its your clutch cable that needs adjusting, did you squeeze the handlebars tighter when you tried to lock the wheels? and you didnt squeeze enough to engage the cultch the last time.