john deere 1400 series 72"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by alwaysgreenirrigation, Jan 31, 2007.

1. alwaysgreenirrigation

alwaysgreenirrigation LawnSite Member

I am thinking of getting one of these if I get a 25 acre school bid i am competing for. Does anyone have one? Does the 1435 with the 24 diesel have enough power? Or should I go with the 1445 31 hp diesel? Do they cut as nice as my 60" z trac? Is the 4x4 option worth the extra$? I would appreciate any info from owners out there. Thanks --Greg:usflag:

2. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

Why not go with the 997? I'm sure It would be cheaper than the rear steer and would mow circles around an out-front... I have demoed a 1435 and it was'nt very stable on side hills...

3. 7 IRON

7 IRON LawnSite Member
    from VT

The Few 1400's We Have Sold,Have Been Very Dependable So Far.Do You Plan To mow Fairly Level Areas Or Do You Have Some Hills To Deal With?Just
    My 2 Cents,But I Would Think The 1435 Would Hold Better Grade Of Inclines
    Than A ZTRak,(especially On Wet/Dew Covered Areas).

4. Imow4u2

Imow4u2 LawnSite Senior Member

I'd reccomend the dual wheel kit for incline applications..

5. alwaysgreenirrigation

yeh i think I will still consider them...havent ruled out a bigger Z like the 997....but have heard the out fronts ride a lot nicer.....I would be mowing mostly flat athletic fields....four ball diamonds and a football field. and all the grass around three schools and a park area. Not many sidehills and figured I could get them with my z if there was an area that the outfront didnt work well on. I was just looking for comments on cut and speed of mowing ect....and if the 24 hp diesel had enough ummph!! lol thanks.

6. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

I had a 1445 then went to using 997's. I liked the 1445, but for a 997 is so much cheaper, and has the same engine and mower deck. Plus it is at least 30% faster, or more

7. oldturf

oldturf LawnSite Member

I have both machines and I can tell you that for flat fairly smooth land the 997 will mow circles aroound the 1435. If you mow rough property with some fairly steep slopes then the 1435 would be better.

8. corey1977

corey1977 LawnSite Senior Member
    from maine

at least with the 1400 you can use it year round I worked for a college that had a 1445 thay had the cab and snow blowed in the winter with it

9. alwaysgreenirrigation

Yeh the issue of using a outfront with a cab, and snowblower is a good one...might work great for snow removal of sidewalks ect.... I am now I guess it comes down to how good a deal I can get on either a 997 or a 1445.