John Deere 1435 mower question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gushar, Oct 20, 2006.

1. gushar

gushar LawnSite Member

Hello folks...I'm new to the forum..and somewhat to the business. I'm trying to find out if anyone has or has used the John Deere 1435 front deck mowers. I have a chance to pickup a couple at a good price and I'm told the owners are selling them because they keep shutting down due to overheating. They look almost new! I'm told that the John Deere dealer says there's nothing wrong with them....but apparently the present owners are not satisfied with that. Anybody know about this type problem with these specific mowers? I'd really appreciate your comments. This could help me alot in my decision.

Gushar

2. gjsnow

gjsnow LawnSite Member

I have a 1435 and had a problem with the radiator overflow tank boiling over. I replaced the thermostat, changed the coolant, flushed the radiator, and it did not help. I wasn't only cutting but I was also using the MCS 600 collection system. For my needs, mine was underpowered. I would recommend the 1445 or 1565, 31 or 36 hp respectfully.

3. Charles Odell

Charles Odell LawnSite Member

Check your screens on the front of the radiator,there should be a
    removable screen it gets covered in grass causing the mower
    to get hot. The mower should continue to run when hot, but
    the blades shut down right ? Hope this helps
    Charles

4. gjsnow

gjsnow LawnSite Member

I just went out to double check the machine. There is no removable radiator screen on the 1435. Mine is always clean though. I usually blow all the dust off after use.

5. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

There are some relays that are known to go bad. this is not an uncommon problem but not everyone may know how to fix you up. We have a fair number of these out running and seen it before!
    As suggested, go with the 1445 or bigger especially with the 72". I just took one of these on trade and it's immaculent! and if it sits here till spring it's going to my house! I was sold after mowing with it, can you say PURE CADDY! quiet, powerfull, exceptional mowing and versatility!

gjsnow~ That 600MCS is wild isn't it! how do you like it?

6. gjsnow

gjsnow LawnSite Member

JDLEN, thanks for asking.
    I investigated every collection system out there to pick up my wet oak leaves and the MCS 600 is tops. It is made by a company called Wiedenmann in Germany for deere and the deere commercial front mowers are the only machine in the states that will support a Weidenmann system. It is able to handle a full 60 inch deck width of oak leaves without a problem. Although my machine says 1435 on the side it really is not. I felt it was underpowered with the 24 so I replaced it with a 36 yanmar, the same specs as the one in the 1565. The machine is a beast now. It rarely clogs. Also, when the collection system was new the cylinder that raises the clamshell was weak so they replaced it with a huge one that handles a full wet 18 bushels without hesitation. As far as the relays go, I have not had any problem with the cooling system since the engine transfer.
    I look forward to hearing your response.
    GJSNOW.

7. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

I haven't had the pleasure of selling one yet but have quoted a few. It looks like an impressive unit, thanks for the background!
    JD reminds me of that old BASF commercial, "We don't make a lot of the products you buy, we make a lot of the products you buy better!" Green paint makes it better I guess!
    The bottom line is, go find a unit that will do what the 600 will do! I assume you have the cab as well? I moved a few with cabs this year with heat and AC, mowers, snowblowers and 4X4, even to homeowners, tell me that won't make mowing a pleasure!. I like what you did with the engine swap, I agree with you on the need for more power, never too much. I bet your neighbors don't have a unit like that! :weightlifter: :weightlifter: :weightlifter:

8. gjsnow

gjsnow LawnSite Member

Thanks for the quick reply.
    When I purchased the machine, Curtis just came out with a new cab for the 1400 series. I have the Curtis cab and like it a lot. It is not as nice as the
    deere cab but adequate. I use my cab only in the winter with the 60 inch snowblower. I, of course, have a 4wd model.
    Just a quick note, with the heavy oak leaves, I run gators to chop up the leaves even more and reduces clumping. The deck is so well designed that I still get a totally green stripe behind the machine after collecting and I don't get any blowout. Oregon makes the gator blades for the deck.
    Speak to you soon.
    gjsnow.
    PS. I had some serious initial quality problems with the unit. You may be aware of these as a dealer. By 2006, I'm sure the bugs are worked out.

9. jdlen

jdlen LawnSite Member

I'm not aware of any problems just because I haven't sold any but I appreciate the heads up on what to pay attention to! Anyting as complex as that 600 is going to have bugs, especially for it being pretty new.
    Gators on the 7irons are about 80%+ around here and on most homeowner machines. They make short work of the debris.
    fwiw, JD is doing a major overhaul of it's commercial line for 2008. I know a little so far but not much, should be interesting, really filling some product holes from what I have heard.
    Thanks!

10. gjsnow

gjsnow LawnSite Member

Dear JDlen,

The problems that I have had mostly surrounded the early model 1435, not the collection system. I hope I wasn't misleading. The only major problem I had with the collection system was the lifting cylinder which was switched to a stronger one without issues. I did need a better flange where the chute connects to the clamshell and it was sent to me for repair.

The 1435 has had its share of problems stemming from an oil chime/light that would not work properly, a faulty steering system which required replacement, the coolant overflow problem mentioned above, and a recent pto failure from a faulty snap ring. The biggest issue from the beginning was the lack of adequate hp in a 1435 coupled to an MCS-600. To make matters worse, John Deere has not been particularly supportive despite the sophisticated caliber of equipment purchased and the expense that I have incurred.

All that being said, with the bugs out of the machine and an engine transfer to 36hp it is running and performing better that I could have imagined. My only fear is what will break next!!
    Have a happy holiday.
    gjsnow.