John Deere 14sb 21'' Problem.. Help!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Nov 10, 2004.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Ok, heres the problem. This just started a few days ago. I changed the oil for the first time that season and ever since then i had a problem. The problem is that the mower will not idle right when the blades aren't engaged. But, when the mowers blades are spinning it runs smoothly. I recently bought alot of new parts to replace on this mower such as, spark plugs, blade, air filter, pull string etc, I didn't put any of these on yet, because they didn't come in the mail. Do any of you think its because of the spark plug? When i took it out it was black, but worked. (i know that it's time to change it) So would it have anything to do with the sparkplug? or airfilter? Any help would be great..

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

It could have something to do with one of those things. Replace the plug and clean or replace the air filter and see if that helps.

What exactly does the engine do? Does it miss or surge or what?

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

My exmark surges when its idling or running wide open then when I engage the blads it runs fine. I have no idea why but as long as it cuts Im happy. Does any one know what causes that surging?

4. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Im not sure what surging means.. but when the engine is running.. idle.. no blades running.. it goes from like a low high rpm.. to a slightly lower rpm.. you can hear it..

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I used to have a lot of those mowers. You have the Kawasaki engine on it I assume. That engine is very unforgiving when you get dirt in the carb. When mine would do that, I usually found the plug to be fouled, real black. I would have to take the carb. apart, clean everything good, then put it back together. That would solve the problem. Usually I put in a new plug also.
    I reduced the problem by installing a little in-line gas filter.