1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 14SB 21" ??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by WJW Lawn, Jan 28, 2007.

1. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

What do you guys know about the John Deere 14SB?? Ive got a guy looking to sell one with a Kawi on it...its in very good condition. Any thoughts?
  2. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

best 21 ever made-buy it! will hold up to comm use
  3. NMS0219

NMS0219 LawnSite Senior Member

very good mower. Buy it.
  4. stroker51

stroker51 LawnSite Senior Member

buy it. Mine is at least 10-12 years old, still gets taken off the trailer at least once a day. That one mower has made me a lot of money over the last 4 or 5 years since I got started.
  5. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, buy it! I have one as well, unsure of the year exactly, but it's the grey model with the black handles.

Great machines overall, transmissions are the weak point. Iv'e only replaced mine once and Iv'e owned it 6+ years. Also had to put an electronic ignition on mine last year, but that fixed 2 problems at once with one part. THe BBC was replaced when I bought the mower, neer had a bit of trouble with it.

Why am I willing to put money into an OLD mower? cause NOBODY makes a 21" mower as good as the old JD SB14 and JX75/85.
  6. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The good thing about this 14sb is the transmission is new---guy just had it replaced. Basically the story is...he purchased new wheels for it...when he put the back wheels on he didnt do it right so it wont propel. Because of that...he got tired of fooling with it and purchased a new 21. Get this...he wants 50 BUCKS for it!!! lol Im getting this 21 because I know what these things retailed for--around 750 ish. The Kawi runs great...love the silver deck...and yalls comments are a big plus!
  7. PowerEquipmentWarehouse

PowerEquipmentWarehouse LawnSite Member

Go for it, that machine was one of the best 21" mowers John Deere has ever produced. The engine is solid, the deck design was great and the transmission was good as well. There is an ignitor chip on the engine that will go bad periodically, and it is pretty pricey, but other than that, it's a great unit.

8. lawnboy dan

do you know the price of that ecu chip? i have one thats gone bad and want to replace it
  9. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

Hey WJW, I saw that one as well on the net. Let me know how that turned out. I was pretty interested myself but really don't need another 21" right now. Since getting the Samurai, it really cut back the hours the 21" gets now. :)
  10. lawnboy dan

i have yet to replace a trans on any of the 4 jd,s that i own . trans problems have been the death of every toro i have had.