john deere 2 cycle

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by awm, Dec 21, 2001.

1. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

has anyone had a chance to use the new john deere produts,
    trimmers etc, enough to make an evaluation.thanks and later
  2. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

i was wondering about those myself. i need another trimmer for light use and i want a stick edger too. i was thinking about getting one of those convertible models. they seem like a better buy than all that stuff combined.
  3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

How new are you talking about? I have been using a JD stick edger for the last 2 seasons. I have had no problems with it, but I think if I was to do it over again, I would get a different brand. I don't think that the JD will hold up much longer.
  4. Grass_Slayer

i was thinking about the ones that the ends can be switched out on. it would save me money to buy those attachments instead of buying each one of the pieces of equip.
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

That is what I started with, but it was not JD brand. It was a, not sure on the spelling, Mareaume, something like that. I would take the money you are going to spend on the attachment and buy another (edger/trimmer). It is an inconvience to swap attachments and unproductive, should someone be helping you.

6. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Although I prefer solid shaft, rather than split, I don't think it is that inconvient...All you have to do is loosen a knob, and press a button, then slide on the attatchment.

Never used JD 2-cycle, but if you want to save a few bucks, go with the quick-tatch or whatever it's called.

If you have enough money, go with separate tools.
  7. Grass_Slayer

well my employee uses my kawi trimmer while i ride the ztr. i just wanted another one for bigger jobs that he is not done when i am. and i can afford to buy a push edger with a three horse 4 stroke but i still need another trimmer. and i can always use a little pruning saw and a little tiller to turn over peoples flower beds. i still havent decided though.

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I don't know about the JD trimmers other than just holding one in the dealership, seemed a little heavy though. We use Still FS 85's they have preformed great, and we put them to the test every week, especially in the Cemetery we cut. Proberly over 3000 sites to weedeat around. Makes for a very good nights sleep. Also use Still backpack blowers and Still hedge trimmers all are great.
  9. yorkpaddy

yorkpaddy LawnSite Member

i'm with the last post, stihl FS85 all the way. I have an FS 85 trimmer, and a FC 75 edger. I have the hedge clippres and tiller that fit on the FS 85. When my 85 wouldn't start, I put the FC 75 power head on the 85 shaft and it worked for me while i got the 85 repaired. Next year i'm gonna buy an FS-200 for my frontline trimmer (more power), and put the hedge clippers permantely on the 85. When I need to run the tiller, i'll put it on the FS200, it can use the extra power.
  10. Im with the stihl guys to.I have one that i got before going in the business that i got in 1990 to cut brush with ,and it still works great.Stihl and shindawa are the 2 cycle stuff we use
    Both have proven them selves to us .