1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

john deere 21 inch mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by thelostbubba, Mar 27, 2005.

1. thelostbubba

thelostbubba LawnSite Member

Are the john deere 21 inch mowers commercial quaility.. Do they hold up. need some advice on these mowers

2. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Junk Deere blows. There 21" mowers are always falling apart. Plastic gears in the wheels, crappy bearings, cables constantly breaking or seizing, handle bars breaking at least once per year. They bag real good but suck at mulching. I will never buy a 21" deere again. I had to get a new mower every year to replace the old one but had to keep the old one to continually pirate parts off of to keep the new one going. I now have a string of old deere mowers from completly decomposed ( deck/engine only left) to last years mower that is now the new parts mower.
  3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

How much time do you spend using a 21"?
  4. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

IMO the JD JX75 or JX85 would be a good mower to add to your equipment inventory. However, replacement parts are very expensive! Try $78 plus tax for a front wheel for the JX75 :realmad: Look at the eXmark Metro 21" I think you might like it a little better.
  5. Blades of Steel

Blades of Steel LawnSite Senior Member

This is a prime example as to WHY they should have NEVER quit making the JX85.. I still have mine and have had only one problem repaired under warranty. Bottom line they should be slapped for making this Home Depot %$#%.

6. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with you Tim. I couldn't believe it when I saw all the JD green at Home Depot. I told my wife right then that JD quality will slowly deteriorate. I sure hope i'm wrong because their Z-track mowers are really awesome.
  7. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

did i mention that i don't really care for them???????

we have the JX75 and am VERY unhappy with the unit.
  8. BCSteel

BCSteel LawnSite Senior Member

Almost forgot, the gear boxes suck too. I had to get 4 replaced on 3 different mowers over the 7 years I was using them. And remember these were new units every year. The last time I had to replace the gear box it only lasted for 7.5 hours. Took it back in remaining remarkably calm but lost it when the dealer tried to charge me for another one. Now I know that that is dealer related but 4 gear boxes on mowers that were all under 7 months old = crappy product to me.

The one good jd 21" I did have was the first one, a jx85. Over 3000 hours on that machine before it finally crapped out in a smoking/flaming blaze of glory. I still have those old steel rimmed rubber tires from that old 85 just incase I need them on another mower.
  9. Lodogg2221

Lodogg2221 LawnSite Member

My 14SB is 15 years old. Spent 5 hours a week mowing until I got it 4 years ago. Now it spends about 3 hours a week mowing. No problems. Cuts better than anything I have ever used incl, lawnboy and Toro. Still starts on the FIRST pull. I am getting ready to buy a used JX85 tomorrow. You know, if you treat your equipment right, it will last longer. Someone said they had trouble with them breaking? I used to see that a lot when I worked for a local Deere dealer. Always from abuse. Mine still has the original handles on it. Someone else said something about JX75 wheels cost $75? I get em for about $22 list at the dealer. Maybe you should check jdparts.com to make sure they arent hosing you. I wonder about BC Steel, you said plastic gears in the wheels? Toro and Lawn boy do that to, so do they also suck? You also said they bag real good, but suck at mulching. My dads year old Toro can only go 75% of the speed I can at mulching. Mine leaves nothing behind, his clumps. As did the older Lawnboy I just sold. If they suck so bad, why did you keep buying them? I mean really, 7 years of using them?

I guess what Im saying is yes they are commercial. But you have to be able to maintain them properly. Seems some people dont, then want to blame the equipment. I think my 14sb is proof. Only things not original: wheels, transmission cable broke last year finally. (it was original). One wheel height adjuster. Thats it.
  10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Those Jdeere mowers at home cheapo are not made by Jdeere....they are actually made by SCOTTS and scotts subs out there work to MURRAY.....did you know that 90% of the mowers at home cheapo, lowes and walmart that supposedly have a name other than murray on them are in fact made by MURRAY EX troy bilt ,cub cadet, and a few others.