john deere 210 problem

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jeeper, Apr 7, 2001.

1. jeeper

jeeper LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Hi Everyone!
    I have an older (1984-1985) John Deere 210 with a 1 cylinder Kohler 10hp it runs great and idles fine, but it smokes.
    I removed the air filter and it has some oil on it.
    I removed the spark plug which is approx. 3 years old and it is dry and has black-gray carbon build up.
    I did a compression test and it reads 120psi.
    What would cause this? I thought if it had bad rings it would have low compression, not idle well, and have blow by.
    Could it be valves? Or is there something else i may be over looking?

2. SMB

SMB LawnSite Senior Member

Put in a new spark plug and see how quickly it gets dirty. Also, do you have too much oil in it?
    I'll email you a link to a very helpful Kohler site.

[Edited by SMB on 04-07-2001 at 10:04 PM]

3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't know if that engine has a reed valve or not, but the magnums have one and it can go bad. It then sucks oil into the carb which will make them smoke.

4. jeeper

jeeper LawnSite Member
    from iowa

i have the right amount of oil, i ran a new plug for 3 hours, it looks great (no build up or major discoloration) i'm not sure on the reed valve, is it right behind the carb, like on outboard motors? i'm gonna go pull the carb and check it out. we have a very poor service guy in our town, so i figured i'd try it myself.

5. Bills Circle Mowers

Bills Circle Mowers LawnSite Member

What color smoke are you seeing. Blue or black? Blue would indicate an oil problem, black a too rich carburetor setting. You metion you checked compression which from the number looks good. Even though the compression is good it is possible the oil control ring is worn letting oil get by the compression rings. Hope this helps.