John Deere 2305 or Kubota BX2230??

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Team_Yamaha, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha LawnSite Member

I currently have 2 John Deere 400's, both have 9 gallons of fluid in the tires and 75 lb wieghts in the rear whels and they can't climb the hills in my yard without spinning. So I am in the market for a 4wd compact tractor. I am looking at either the John Deere 2305 or Kubota BX2230. Which one should I get?? What are pro's and con's of each?? Thanks guys!!!
  2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2305 is replacing the 2210. You will probably find a better deal on a 2210 unless the dealer is really pushing the 2305's.
  3. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

I'd go with the Kubota. Same quality as the JD if not better for less money.
  4. Smalltimer1

But less features for the $$$. I went and looked at some Kubotas while getting some Snapper tune up parts Friday and quite frankly if I was Kubota I'd be embarrassed about putting a tractor together in such a wimpy fashion--the reason for the cheaper price.

The rear axle tube on the Kubota is smaller than the axle tube on my 1969 IH Cub Cadet 73 that is only putting out 7hp. The JD rear end also is much larger than the Kubota's. Broken axle tubes are not cheap to replace especially with how proud Kubota is on their parts....

The draft links on the 3 pt. hitch on the Kubota are like rubber bands compared to the JD. I wouldn't want to put too much weight on the rear of a Kubota for fear of bending and/or breaking them.

Component for component, JD has the better/tougher machine. Quality has a price--you get what you pay for, and this is especially true with the Kubota. The idea that just because something is Japanese made makes it better is bunk.

....and yes I know JD uses a Yanmar engine--but the rest of it is American made.
  5. whitetail

whitetail LawnSite Member
    from Montana

I too like John Deere better, in my area the dealer is easy to work with and are friendly. go look at old used equipment by both. I have found that John Deere looks better, fewer cracks/welds and better overall condition.
  6. wushaw

wushaw LawnSite Member

Go to both dealers and look over both machines, Deere or Kubota is a GM Ford debate that will go on forever.
  7. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I know you didnt list it and I also know there not very popular with many but what about the X595. Ive got 580hrs on mine and it runs great. Much better ride than the BX, smaller/lighter etc. I also beleive it has a lower C of G.

Anyway, just thought I'd put it out there!
  8. LawnScenes

LawnScenes LawnSite Member

I'd go with the John Deere. I own a John Deere 3120 and a Kubota B7500 and love the JD...
  9. Smalltimer1

JD also has it for dealer support after the sale. Most Kubota dealers are fly by night, meaning if they have a few bad months they could be gone the next. The JD dealers are more stable and therefore will be there for you in the unlikely event that you need any non-PM related parts.
  10. Foz

Foz LawnSite Member

We used to have a Kubota BX2200, which is a similar sized machine without some of teh new upgrades, used it for commercial mowing, snow removal, and never had any trouble, we traded it 2 years ago for a B2910. The best thing since both manufacturers have good reputations is to weigh which dealer will provide you better service & select a tractor based on that fact. It doesn't matter which is cheaper, they are comparable machines, dealer service is the difference. That is how we select all of our equipment!