John Deere 3000 series

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by fearthedeere, Nov 13, 2006.

1. fearthedeere

fearthedeere LawnSite Member

I've been doing my homework on compact tractors as of late, and I've become quite interested in the Deere 3000 TWENTY series tractors. anyone have experience with these? can lift about 1600lbs with a 300cx loader, the one I quoted comes with read and mid PTO, cat. 1 3pt. hitch, and twin touch hydro tranny. I'll be doing a variety of applications from planting trees with augers, loader work, seed bed prep, and possibly some large area mowing. Any thoughts?

2. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

I am really thinking about purchasing a JD 3203. I rented one last week to move some trees around and things of that nature and wow, I was impressed. Lots of low end torque, plenty of power, easy to operate, and looks great! I was picking up 1200 lb. trees with no problem. I think you woudl be happy with a 3000 series tractor, i'm working a deal on one right now, you should too! :clapping: :clapping:

3. fearthedeere

really? I would be interested to try out and compare the 3203 against the TWENTY series tractors such as the 3520 as the 3203 is an economy version. I really liked the price on the 3203, but as my JD rep explained some differences I started to gravitate towards a 20 series especially in the aspect that a 20 series can sport a 300CX loader that lifts twice as much as the 300 loader on the 3203. Also, the 3203 cannot be fitted with a mid PTO which for me in particular is something of interest for me as it can mow with a 72" 7 iron deck under there if need be. Breakout force of the 300 loader is also considerably lower....now this may not matter for you which is great because the 3203 was almost 17k with the 300 loader as compared to the 3520 at 24K with the 300CX loader and mid-pto options. I just want to make sure that I'm buying a versatile machine when I get one because I absolutely hate it when a piece of my equip. doesn't have the power for a particular task. My roomate tried to sell me on Kubota, but upon looking at the spec sheets, the only real feature the kubota has over the deere is that it can lift more (on paper).

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

If you can afford the difference in price, go for the 3520. It is a bit more of the tractor and the mid PTO open up more options like you mentioned. If you are really concerned about the capacity of the loader, the 3520 is the way to go. I think that you have made the decision for yourself already based on your posts. Anyhting Deere is better than Kubota anyway.

5. johndeereguy

johndeereguy LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

If you are going to get a twenty series why not go ahead and get the Deere soundguard cab with it. I have it on my 4720 and would not be without. Otherwise, you will love a deere tractor

6. fearthedeere

haha, Fearthisdeere, well I usually do my homework as best I can and see if anyone can dissuade me of my preliminary opinions when it comes to equipment, so your statement that I've made a decision is not totally unfounded.

As far as a cab goes...it'd be nice for work in extreme weather conditions, but I doubt 5.5K worth especially with landscape work where inevitably I'll be working around many trees and in tight spaces.

Thanks for your input guys.

7. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I am the same way. I always know what I want! As long as it is green, you can't go wrong.

8. floydboy

floydboy LawnSite Member

The 3203 is just a hydrostatic and the 3020 series has a ehydro transmission which is much more reliable or you can get a 12 speed shuttle shift trans called the PowerReverser. The 3203 also cannot accomidate a frame mount backhoe as can the 3020 series. The 3203 is a striped down 3020 series. It is still a grat tractor but if your budget can handle it, go for one of the 3020 series tractors. You will be able to add more later and it is so much more comfortable.

9. fearthedeere

Thanx for the info floyboy. I wonder how the ehydro tranny is more reliable than the regular hyro in the 3203?

10. teamoneoutdoors

teamoneoutdoors LawnSite Member

In researching a compact tractor around the 33 hp range take an opportunity to look at the Challenger 265B tractor sold through Caterpillar dealers. I purchased one this spring and it has been a great tractor. Our Cat dealer, as do many other dealers, places new tractors in the rental fleet of equipment. Through this program you can purchase a "like new" tractor while saving on the purchase price. We purchased ours with 175 hours on it and it looked and ran great.

http://www.challenger-ag.com/agco/Challenger/ChallengerNA/CompactTractors/MT200.htm

I own John Deere Commercial mowing equipment but could not turn down the quality of the Challenger at the price, warranty, and servicing capabilities of the Caterpillar dealer. My knowledge of the service program is great because I used to be a sales representative for the dealer before I started my own business.

Good Luck!