John Deere 314 motor advice

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by A.D Services, Sep 9, 2006.

1. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

Ok I hAVE a John Deere 314 that has the old 14 horse kohler.A couple of weeks ago I was mowing withit and I heard a grinding noise then I noticed motor oil was dripping from somewhere? so i add some more oil and i go to start it but all it does is spin really fast my dad says it probably seized and then broke the connecting rod. so I guess my question is should i overhaul it or buy the conversion 23hp briggs.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The first thing you should do is remove the engine, Tear it down and see what failed and inspect the damage. It may or may not be rebuild-able then go from there as to deciding on a repair.

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

If the block is toast then no. If not, then it may be worth it...but even then its tough to say. Depends on the labor costs in your area. Around here it usually is not worth it...

I am not familiar with any conversion setups for those. Do you have any links on that setup?

I have a guy with a JD 420 that may be in need of a rebuild or engine...

4. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

the old k series engine can be rebuilt just about forever. Short of major cylinder or block damage it would be best to rebuild it.

5. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

Yea they make the conversion at smallenginewarehouse.com I think it is in Indiana somewhere.

6. khouse

Like Restrorob said "tear it down first". Post back your findings. It has to be real bad not to be able to rebuild it. You can bore it out up to .030 over and grind the crank .010 under.

7. Restrorob

And Adding to khouse's post ^^^^^^^^^^^ Your old K series rebuilt if possible WILL if done right out last any new off the shelf engine on the market.

8. khouse

Kohler not manufacturing the K series is like GM not making the 350 engine. Not the best idea to me.

9. khouse

I just found a k341 block on ebay. Also there is a crankshaft there too.
    Item # 300025200276

10. Restrorob