John Deere 332

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by EasylyConfused, Jun 20, 2005.

1. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

I have recently aquired a JD 332, and know nothing about it. There are two pedals on the right, is each one a break for the two rear tires? Also is their anyway to improve the mowing capabilities? I'm currently running it a full throttle and creaping along at about 1 foot every 5 seconds. If I go any faster it does not cut all of the grass. It currently has sharp strait bags for bagging. Is there anyway of speeding up the rpm of the PTO without reving the engine any higher. It already keeps over heating. Should I be running at full open throttle or maybe only 2/3? Anything you could tell me about this tractor would be spectacular. All I really know is that it is necessary to constantly clean the fluff from dandy lions out of the screen in front of the rad.

2. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a considerable experience with one of those and it's a fine unit as long as it as had all the maintenence done. You can mow alot faster than that, in fact almost as fast as your tractor will go at full throttle and full advance on the Hydro speed control. All you have to do it get new blades (forget the old ones as I'm sure they are toast anyway). Grease all the fitting you can find on the tractor and the mower (don't think there are any on the mower deck). Get a manual so you can find all the fittings. Probably a new deck belt also. The only thing that makes anything work is MAINTENANCE. Learn it...Do it...Live it.

3. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

Amen - I put 5000 hrs on a 332 50" deck and i sold it to my son-in-law, and it is still purring along. Be sure to blow the radiator out from the fan side after removing the side panels every so often. Do not try to remove the buildup of dandilion seeds etc from the perforated metal when the engine is running - trying to clean the perforated metal when the engine is running only lets the stuff go thru the perforated metal and plug the radiator fins. I always idled down for a couple of minutes to let the valves cool, then shut the engine off, then remove the buildup on the screens.

4. EasylyConfused

EasylyConfused LawnSite Member

It was just at JD to be greased and prepared for the summer before I got it. But maybe I was lied too. I will look at the blades and the belts. Do you normaly mow at full throttle? Are the two pedals on the right individual tire brakes? Thanks!

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, mow at full throttle and the pedals on the right are for the individual rear brakes, but the unit is so small and narrow I have no idea why they are seperated like a large tractor. Get a manualand follow the guidelines for maintenance and operation.