1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 335 Tractor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Vernon L, Jul 10, 2013.

1. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Who meee ???

I know no-ting...... :waving:
  2. Vernon L

Vernon L LawnSite Member

Gentlemen, Rob, Dutch 1 and piston slapper,

Thank you for all of your expertise. This AM I did a volume test on the fuel pump and it is pumping out 9 ounces in 15 seconds, 3 times better that the manual suggests.

However, I have new problems. The engine surges and I have to use the choke to keep it running and I am getting an occasional backfire. I assume that is from the excess use of the choke. As suggested, I sprayed all around the carb and heads. No improvement in the running of the engine. I checked all of the hoses (air and fuel lines) and they are in excellent condition.

Also, this AM I could not get the engine to run with the air filter installed. After removing the filter, which is new I could get the engine running. The engine stalls immediately if you engage the mower.

Currently, I am at a loss as to what to do next. But, I am leaving tomorrow morning on a 2 week vacation. Maybe, by the time I get back the tractor will have repaired itself. LOL

Any further recommendations are gratefully accepted.

Thanks again,

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Your problem certainly appears to be fuel related but if you feel assured that everything fuel related is up to snuff, I'd consider a leakdown and compression test.
  4. Vernon L

Vernon L LawnSite Member

I have done a copression test and it is within specifications, but have not done a leakdown test.

5. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Readjust the governor....
    Replace the intake gaskets....
    Ive seen broken...sucked in....intake gaskets that leak so bad that spraying around them doesnt seem to help...