1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere 4100 Tractor

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by ToroLandscaper, Aug 20, 2005.

1. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the 790s hydros or gears becouse i would be using them in smaller areas like back yards etc. and also how much Hp is robbed by the hydro becouse i am thinking a hydro would be better idk what do you think

2. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

Been there and done that with gear drive tractors and loaders. JD 5210 and JD 1070 at the golf course I worked at. Spend the extra and get a hydro. The hp lost is only 2 to 3hp with a hydro over a gear.

3. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

Also they are diesel right?

4. Itsgottobegreen

all real compact tractors are diesel. :D

5. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

the 790 JD is still made by yanmar. BTW they made all of JD's compacts up until the 4600 series. I don't believe it is available in hydro. Not even shuttle. The only ones I have seen have the shifter between your legs on the floorboard. I am a fan of an open floorboard. Years or experience tell me it is greatly more comfortable and operator friendly (one in the same) If you are in tight spaces then defenately consider a "glide shift(kubota)" or power reverser "twenty series" JD there are other tractors out there but we own one of each I mentioned and love them. HYdros are also availble on Grand L Kubota and on twenty series JD

6. start2finish

start2finish LawnSite Senior Member

the 790 JD is still made by yanmar. BTW they made all of JD's compacts up until the 4600 series. I don't believe it is available in hydro. Not even shuttle. The only ones I have seen have the shifter between your legs on the floorboard. I am a fan of an open floorboard. Years or experience tell me it is greatly more comfortable and operator friendly (one in the same) If you are in tight spaces then defenately consider a "glide shift(kubota)" or power reverser "twenty series" JD there are other tractors out there but we own one of each I mentioned and love them. HYdros are also availble on Grand L Kubota and on twenty series JD

7. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

I like the gear drives for their simplicity of maintenance and durability. Hydros are nice for convienience and for constant direction changes. I just don't like the idea that I could lose a hydro pump if I am pushing dirt with a front end loader for extended periods of time, now I know that the pumps are much more durable than that, but I'm just saying that sometimes if you happen to have an amateur operator or a careless employee that stuff can happen, as we all know. That won't happen with a gear drive. The worst that could happen would be a bad clutch and stripped synchros.

Most of the newer hydro tractors have separate pumps anyway for the transmission and the lift hydraulics, which takes a considerable amount of stress off the main drive pump.

8. Itsgottobegreen

The 4100 to 4700 is aviable in hydro, shuttle trans, electric shuttle trans. The 790 and 990 are gear shiftonly. And its inbetween your legs. Which is a real pain.

Well gears drives are cheaper, but you can easly tear up a gear when shifting. Seen it done. I like the hydro's when your have employees running it. Less likely to damage it. I push dirt all the time with my kubota. No problems yet. (knock on wood)

9. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

It basically boils down to personal preference.

I like the simplicity and durability of a gear drive for heavy work (ground engaging). I don't mind having to shift as I know I'm in full control of the power.

However for mowing, I really like the hydrostatics because its easier to maintain a constant speed, and doesn't damage the grass as much as a gear drive would on wet grass, a hydro is easier to 'feather' to avoid turf damage.

10. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

Definitely personal preference. My own machine is gear drive, and I didn't think too highly of hydros until I ran a Kubota B21 for a day. The hydro took some time to get used to, but after a while it became second nature. When I got back on the gear drive machine it felt awkward and slow.