John Deere 445 w/60" deck

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by VO Landscape Design, Nov 23, 2006.

1. VO Landscape Design

VO Landscape Design LawnSite Senior Member

This one is for my Brother. He has a JD 445 w/60" mower deck. We pulled the U pins to drop the deck, how do we disconnect the drive shaft? He came into this mower through marriage so no manual.
    Thanks
    VO

2. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I worked on a 445 a year ago and as I recall, there should be a spring loaded quick coupler on the transmission end or on the deck end, possibly both. If you see the spring loaded coupler you should be able to pull back on the collar and it should come off the splined shaft. I did a search on the JD website but only had the tractor model. You should be able to find a model number on the deck and do a search on it as well. It's not much help but that's all I can offer at present.

Dutch

3. DEEJ

DEEJ LawnSite Member

I agree with dutch. My father-in-law runs the 445 with a 48 inch deck. I believe the drive shaft has a spring-loaded collar around the joint. Push or pull on the collar to release it, then slide the drive shaft off. Father-in-law removes the deck very quickly.

4. VO Landscape Design

Will pass along the info.
    Thanks
    VO

5. VO Landscape Design

Worked like a charm.
    Thanks All
    VO